• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Email address is set to "No mailbox" but Maildir/new filling up

Toxalot

Basic Pleskian
I noticed some subscriptions going over quota for disk usage when there is no reason for it. I discovered that Mail is using a lot of disk space even though subscription has no mailboxes. For example, one subscription has two email addresses, but they are both forwards and have no mailboxes. Yet, /var/qmail/mailnames/<domain>/<email>/Maildir/new is growing. The emails stored there date back to when I updated Plesk last year and continue into present.

I saw another post Resolved - qmail maildir contains items even though there should be no mailbox which seems to be the same issue as mine. It was suggested the directories are orphans and can be safely deleted. I tried removing them. Without them, the forward doesn't work either. And I get a warning about missing directories during scheduled backup.

I deleted and recreated the email address via the Control Panel and the directories returned. I sent a test email. Forward worked this time and it didn't save a copy to Maildir/new anymore.

I'm guessing something changed with the Plesk update. Is there a way to fix all the email addresses automatically? Or do I really need to delete and recreate all those that don't have mailboxes?

Back