• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question email delivery time

fec19777

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOs7
Plesk version and microupdate number
Good day,

Please how can I adjust the email delivery time/email queue
For example, when i send out an email from my server I want it to take 2-3 minutes before it can be delivered instead of instant delivery

I want it to be delayed before it can be delivered.

Hi,

Could you please provide a little bit more details on why do you want to add a delay to email delivery process?

I am asking because I do not remember similar questions in the past and not sure that it can be achieved easily.
If nobody answered, makes sense to create a feature request with details on Plesk UserVoice.

Hi,
The reason why i want to add delay in my server is because i think it will help keeping a good record for my ip address and also to prevent abuse.

For example, I'm sending emails to 20,000 email lists, and the delivery is instant; it might affect the email delivery, but if I can send it with a 2-3 minute delay on the queue, I think it will be better.

Do you mean each email from 20,000-list should be delayed, right? 20,000 emails x 3 mins, the last email will be delivered after 16+ hours delay, right? If this improvement be applied as a server-wide setting, other emails also be delayed for hours...

In this case, I would like to recommend just to create a bash-script that will read emails from a list one by one, send email, and sleep for 2 minutes. Sounds much easier, works as you want, it could be customized in the future, do not affect a whole server.

Makes sense to double check that this delay really helps to keeping a good reputation for IP-address :) As a email provider, I would prefer to keep logs/history of senders, aggregate such data for a period; and also react on customers' reports about unwanted emails (e.g.: spam/abuse, ability to unsubscribe, etc.).

For example, I'm sending emails to 20,000 email lists, and the delivery is instant; it might affect the email delivery, but if I can send it with a 2-3 minute delay on the queue, I think it will be better.
Some services like MS Office 365 won't accept this number of mails for delivery, regardless whether you send them all at once or with a delay. You'd need a much longer delay like 10 minutes or more and send tranches of 50 mails only. They might accept the mails, but they will not deliver them to the final recipients immediately on their side.

Others like Yahoo, web.de, GMX, will tend to block your IP just for the overall high amount of mails sent within a day. You'll need to spread the action across many days.

Do you mean each email from 20,000-list should be delayed, right? 20,000 emails x 3 mins, the last email will be delivered after 16+ hours delay, right? If this improvement be applied as a server-wide setting, other emails also be delayed for hours...

In this case, I would like to recommend just to create a bash-script that will read emails from a list one by one, send email, and sleep for 2 minutes. Sounds much easier, works as you want, it could be customized in the future, do not affect a whole server.

Makes sense to double check that this delay really helps to keeping a good reputation for IP-address :) As a email provider, I would prefer to keep logs/history of senders, aggregate such data for a period; and also react on customers' reports about unwanted emails (e.g.: spam/abuse, ability to unsubscribe, etc.).
Yes that make sense that way, i will like it to deliver after 16 hours.
Please how can i set it up on my vps.
I must not send 20,000 maybe 1000 but i used 20,000 emails as an example.

Some services like MS Office 365 won't accept this number of mails for delivery, regardless whether you send them all at once or with a delay. You'd need a much longer delay like 10 minutes or more and send tranches of 50 mails only. They might accept the mails, but they will not deliver them to the final recipients immediately on their side.

Others like Yahoo, web.de, GMX, will tend to block your IP just for the overall high amount of mails sent within a day. You'll need to spread the action across many days.
10 minutes delay is good as well.
Please how can i set it up on my main.cf file

As Igor wrote in that thread: "I can say only, that we do not support this feature officially and never tested it. You can try to do it by yourself and share results. Thanks.".

Unfortunately, I do not any new ideas here; I only can suggest to check logs. The question like "why it is not work?" is more for postfix that for Plesk in this particular case.

Good day,

Please how can I adjust the email delivery time/email queue

For example, when i send out an email from my server I want it to

take 2-3 minutes before it can be delivered instead of instant delivery

I want it to be delayed before it can be delivered. www.roofersofarlington.com

For delaying email delivery from your server, it largely depends on what email system you're using. If it's something like Postfix, you can tweak settings to delay outgoing messages. Some folks use a script to hold emails for a bit before letting them go. Alternatively, if you're not into diving deep into server settings, many email scheduling tools out there can easily do this job. They let you pick when your emails get sent, including a 2-3 minute delay you mentioned.

Hope that points you in the right direction! What email setup are you using, by the way?

For delaying email delivery from your server, it largely depends on what email system you're using. If it's something like Postfix, you can tweak settings to delay outgoing messages. Some folks use a script to hold emails for a bit before letting them go. Alternatively, if you're not into diving deep into server settings, many email scheduling tools out there can easily do this job. They let you pick when your emails get sent, including a 2-3 minute delay you mentioned.

Hope that points you in the right direction! What email setup are you using, by the way?
I'm using plesk panel and the email setup is postfix.
I have tried the settings above for email delay but it didn't work

Back