• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Email forwarding fails silently: DNS issue?

James Newton

New Pleskian
Hello Plesk people!

I've just started using Plesk. I'm setting up a new dedicated server with a new hosting company. I need to take baby steps for now.

I have successfully set up an email account and can both send and receive emails on it, both through webmail and through my desktop client (Evolution on Ubuntu 16.0.4). The problem occurs with automatic mail forwarding.

On the Mail > Email Addresses page, at the Forwarding tab, I have checked Switch On Mail Forwarding, and entered my gmail address. However, when I send messages to this account, no forwarding occurs. Nothing appears in gmail, not even in the Spam folder.

I suspect that this might be a DNS issue. I find DNS settings in two different places: in the ISP's control panel for my domain name, and in the Plesk interface. These settings are different. Here are what I consider to be the relevant settings in the ISP's control panel:

mydomain.com A 12.34.56.78
mydomain.com MX 10 mail-fr.securemail.pro
smtp.mydomain.com CNAME smtp-fr.securemail.pro
webmail.mydomain.com CNAME mydomain.com.
mail.mydomain.com CNAME mail-fr.securemail.pro

Note that, to get email working, I had to change the CNAME setting for webmail.mydomain.com.

In Plesk, I find these settings:

webmail.mydomain.com. A 12.34.56.78
webmail.russkiyfun.com. AAAA 1234:567:1:900::3860
mail.mydomain.com. A 94.76.206.212
mail.mydomain.com. AAAA 1234:567:1:900::3860
mydomain.com. MX (10) mail.mydomain.com.

I am guessing that:
* Plesk uses mail.mydomain.com for both smtp and incoming mail
* Email forwarding requires the smtp server to be set correctly

Does this mean that I need to set the records in my ISP's DNS settings as follows?

mydomain.com A 12.34.56.78
mydomain.com MX 10 mydomain.com.
smtp.mydomain.com CNAME mydomain.com.
webmail.mydomain.com CNAME mydomain.com.
mail.mydomain.com CNAME mydomain.com.

Or is there more that I need to understand about this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

James

Hi James Newton,

On the Mail > Email Addresses page, at the Forwarding tab, I have checked Switch On Mail Forwarding, and entered my gmail address. However, when I send messages to this account, no forwarding occurs. Nothing appears in gmail, not even in the Spam folder.
To investigate issues as described, pls. consider to use the corresponding logs:

I find DNS settings in two different places: in the ISP's control panel for my domain name, and in the Plesk interface.
Plesk does not communicate with the Control Panel of your domain provider. Pls. correct misconfiguration over the Control Panel of your domain provider manually, to meet the DNS settings, that Plesk correctly setup on your local ( rented server ) nameserver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back