• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Email Forwarding SMB user and cycling

B

BerndN

Hi all,
had a terrible problem with email forwarding from one of our customers.

Situation: Domain was migrated from 9.x to 10. Customer called and said that he can't add an email forwarding for one of his email users.

I checked this and had the same experience. While it was migrated I checked the SQL tables in PSA and could not find anything different for that specific user.

Created a new user and added the forwarding address fine. No idea. No errors I could see. In fact after saving the forwarding email address for this specific user a success message could be seen.

So I checked more and could not find any hints. Email Plesk support with no feedback until now.

Checking further I stumbled across the cmd line command:

/usr/local/psa/bin/mail --update mailuser@maildomain -forwarding-addresses add:eek:thermailuser@maildomain

And this now gives the proper help:

An error occured during mailname update: Mail cycling is detected: the address 'othermailuser@maildomain' coincides with mail account which contains a forwarder to this mail group.

So my request is to create a proper message in the internet browser for this case. I checked with another forwarding address and everything is fine.

This was migrated and there was an entry in PSA/mail table in the redir_addr field pointing to the original email address but this could not be seen in the browser smb window of that user. So no chance to disable this cycle from the browser GUI.

I have deleted this in the PSA/mail table entry and now I can assign it fine for both mail accounts if I take care that I don't create a cycle.

Just as a test I created a mail loop in the browser GUI and it allowed me to do so. Is this OK?

I mean you have 2 mail users in Plesk.

maila@maildomain forwarding to mailb@maildomain
mailb@maildomain forwarding to maila@maildomain

This should not be possible or?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back