• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

email is forwarding non-existant addresses

michaellunsford

Regular Pleskian
email is freaking out

I killed an old domain and made it an alias of a new domain. The old domain was told to reject non-existant addresses, as is the new domain. Now all the email from the old domain is being forwarded to the "forward to" address of yet another domain. What to do?

-- bump --

better description:

www.example.net -- old domain
www.example.com -- new domain
www.unrelated.com -- site hosted on same server, but otherwise unrelated to the other two.

1. example.net was "deleted" in the domain control panel. Email was configured to reject nonexistent email addresses.

2. example.com was added in the domain control panel with example.net as a domain alias. Email is configured to reject nonexistent email addresses.

3. [email protected] is being redirected to [email protected]

I'm guessing that the email configuration files have somehow been confused or corrupted. Is there a way to have plesk rebuild all the email configuration files?

new info:

Although the dns reports that the MX record for mail.example.net is pointing to mail.example.com, it is apparently going to the default domain on the server (which is capturing all incoming email).

I am having the same issues as it appears alias accept all email addresses

Emails are default forwarded to the email address set up in the main domain email preferences. Put a new forwarding address in the forward all emails to non existing users field and switch on email forwarding then switch it off again to reject non existing. This will at least forward the non existing emails to the alias domain to where you want. I am looking at how to fix this. Previously I had an entry in the /var/qmail/control/rejectnonexist however this doesn't seem to work with the alias domains and causes qmail to freak.

Ok I think I have it figured.

Go into the mail preferences of the main domain and switch to bounce with message and then save. Then go back in and set it back to reject non existant and save again. This will update your .qmail-default file and add records to the psa database. Hopefully that will clear up the problem

I had bounce with message option switched off in my main server settings so wasn't able to see the option in the site control panel.

I'm having the same problem but this fix won't work for me. The problem is that I have a domain alias that has been around so long it gets over a 1000 spams a day and they are bouncing instead of rejecting. The problem is that my host has a 1000 smtp message per day limit so those bounces are shutting down my smtp server before I get out of bed in the morning. I found the same thing you did, editing the rejectnonexist file freaks qmail.

Does anyone know a way to set domain aliases to REJECT unknown receptient mail instead of bouncing it?

Originally posted by BDMM
Ok I think I have it figured.

Go into the mail preferences of the main domain and switch to bounce with message and then save. Then go back in and set it back to reject non existant and save again. This will update your .qmail-default file and add records to the psa database. Hopefully that will clear up the problem

I had bounce with message option switched off in my main server settings so wasn't able to see the option in the site control panel.

This is what I used to do before Plesk introduced aliasing in 8. I haven't tried it since but it should work the same.

You will need to change your MX records for the alias to point to mail.domain.com.

In this example domain.com is the alias and domain2 is the primary domain

TO SEND EMAIL DOESNT EXIST FOR USER REJECTION INSTEAD OF BOUNCE
cd /var/qmail/mailnames

## add domain.com folder
mkdir domain.com
chmod 700 domain.com

## add .qmail-default file
cd domain.com
pico .qmail-default

## add following line
|forward ${DEFAULT}@domain2.com

## where domain2 is the primary domain where it is to go to.
chmod 600 .qmail-default

CHECK REJECTION LIST AND ADD IF NECESSARY

pico -w /var/qmail/control/rejectnonexist
## add domain.com

service qmail restart

Back