• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Email Issues AGAIN Please help...

360webfirm

Basic Pleskian
Hello, I have used Plesk on and off some a little bit and there are so many issues with the email. Can someone please help me again with this.

I am using the following:

Linus centos 6

email setting

Installed mail server Postfix
Installed IMAP/POP3 server Dovecot

If I can login and do a test run, I cannot send without getting an error. If I Change the authentication, I cannot login. This is really frustrating and tiresome.

I can get the outlook test message back, but I cannot send. I get this below..

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'Steven' on 2016-12-08 2:49 PM

Server error: '454 4.7.1 <*******@gmail.com>: Relay access denied'

Can someone PLEASE tell me the best way to set up an email account and that works with my Plesk. My version is 12.5 and all updated.

Thanks so much.

Steve

Hi 360webfirm,

Plesk has various possibilities to repair mail-server settings.

First, you might try the "Repair" - utility

You will find the command:

plesk repair mail
( documented at: Plesk Repair Utility: Mail ( Plesk online documentation for Plesk 12.5 ) )

Another way to repair your mail-server settings, is to switch from postfix to qmail ( or the other way round ) and back to postfix ( or back to qmail ) again.

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component qmail
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component postfix

If you experience further issues, pls. consider to add your current configuration files for further investigations and add again the latest log - file - entries, because they may vary to your previous ones.

If this didn't yet help to solve your issue, pls. read and follow as well:

=> https://kb.plesk.com/120330
or/and
=> https://kb.plesk.com/121952

Hi there,

I wish Plesk had support where I could write a ticket and they would then login and actually see what is going on.

May I ask you what you use for Secure and Reliable email settings? Qmail or Postfix and what about smtp settiings? Can I also ask you to let me know what you use for settings as the settings?

Thanks, I will try to install qmail, then back to postfix to see if that works.

Steve

Ran the repair utility and -
Error messages: 0; Warnings: 0; Errors resolved: 0

This is really tiresome and I had this issue before and left to go with C Panel. I really like Plesk as its easy to use, except for this email service as I was never in the past year or so able to get it working like it should be. This time around, Its a brand new VPS and I would have thought all the kinks should have been ironed out, I guess not.

I just wish this would work...

Will reinstall Postfix after I install Qmail and then back to Postfix. I had Qmail working before a few months ago, but this is an older service and Postfix should work.

I am sorry UFHH01 as I did not know. You are correct that it should be done in open this conversation instead of private so everyone can benefit if they experience my same issues.

I am just so frustrated with this that I am willing to give anyone access to my server in order to try and find out why this email service is not working.

What do you use for email settings, Can you please let me know?

These are my exact settings - I am getting this error now Server error: '454 4.7.1 <*******@gmail.com>: Relay access denied' when trying to send. Outlook connects and sends test message, but I cannot send.

I have authorization is required and login to incoming mail before sending mail. If I don't check this and leaver on use same settings at top, it ALWAYS comes back with a login issue, incorrect email or password and I know they are correct as I tried changing so many times.

I have port 587 enabled and used this, left default 25, I have changed the method to Auto, TTL, and I have just installed the Qmail and back to Postfix.

This is ridiculous...

Hi 360webfirm,

May I ask you what you use for Secure and Reliable email settings? Qmail or Postfix and what about smtp settiings? Can I also ask you to let me know what you use for settings as the settings?
Pls. don't MIX your threads with different content to your thread title. Pls. remember, that Plesk users may search for threads and the ( possible ) solutions and work-arounds, or how-to's for their issues/errors/problems and they will be absolutely disappointed and irritated, when they found a thread, where the content doesn't match the title... the same appears for users, who found their way over search robots to the threads. ;)

Pls. consider to post YOUR configuration files, so that ( possible ) misconfiguration can be investigated from people willing you help you, with the additional informations from your current mail - log - file. The more informations you provide, the better will be investigations and the depending asnwers. ;)

I am sorry yet again :( I am relatively new with Plesk as I trued to use a few times before and always experience issues with email. How can I get the data you or anyone else would need to post my configuration so you can see my setup?

Please note that I can send and receive using Mail Server, just cannot using outlook 2016

My mail servers:

Installed mail server Postfix
Installed IMAP/POP3 server Dovecot

smtp enabled for port 587

Relay
authorization is required:

SMTP ( checked off )

My outlook 2016 settings

Incoming - mydomain.com
outgoing - mydomain.com

Authorization is checked off in outgoing server - and use same settings as my incoming server
advanced tab - incoming 110 - outgoing 587 (auto)

Pop or Imap same thing, does not send and connect to outgoing. If I choose under Outgoing server - login to incoming before sending mail, no issues, but email will not send as it comes back as rejected.

I get this and I know the mail and password is correct - Send test email message: Your email server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.

Not sure what else to do.

Thanks again for you help.

Steve

Hi 360webfirm,

as already mentioned, but I repeat it now again:

Pls. BOOKMARK this KB - article, in case you would like to know, where which log - files are, where which configuration files are located and how you are able to start/stop/restart one of the Plesk depending services.

In addition, let's assume, that you use WINDOWS on your computer, then I could recommend to use "WinSCP" ( a SFTP client, FTP client, WebDAV client and SCP client for windows. => https://winscp.net/eng/download.php ) for example, with which you are able to login as user "root" on your server, just like you would normally login as "domain-system-user". The difference is, that you are not only able to see ALL folder and files on your server, you can even edit them directly with the built-in text - editor. ;)

@360webfirm To me your post sounds much more like an Outlook configuration issue than a Plesk host issue. Some thoughts on this:

- SMTP (mail out) and POP3 (IMAP; mail in) server name: Do NOT use your domain name, but enter the IPv4 address of your host or the host name for testing purposes. This shall rule out that your DNS configuration of the domain name or a cache issue on your local computer routes your domain to the wrong server.

- In Outlook check the box "My outgoing server requires authentication" on the "extended settings" tab of your mail configuration.

- Check whether you have more than a single mail account configured in Outlook. Your might not be sending your test mails from the mail account in question, but from a different account. If the Outlook configuration test in the mail account settings succeed, you can surely send mails through the configured host. It is not possible that sending a mail fails when the configuration test succeeds, unless you are not sending through the configured account. However, when your sender account name is associated with another mail account, the test will succeed, but sending the real mail will fail (because that mail is never sent using the host you thought you are using).

- Monitor /var/log/maillog on your Plesk host while you are trying to send your mail from Outlook. Do you see a connect attempt? A login and the corresponding "relaying denied" message in the log?

Back