• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

email not working with external clients

J

jasonfbc

We are running Plesk 8.1 on suse 10.1 64bit.
Everything works fine except the email when using a client like outlook or mozilla thunderbird, I can recieve email but cannot send them. Horde web mail works perfect. I have been reading the forums for the last week and so far have not had any luck.

This is the error I get from the log files
Dec 26 18:04:57 fbclxsrvr pop3d: IMAP connect from @ [68.209.195.84]checkmailpasswd: FAILED: [email protected] - no such user from @ [68.209.195.84]ERR: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[68.209.195.84]

Here are the dns records
70.154.20.54 / 24 PTR mail.psnnetwork.org.
70.154.20.54 / 24 PTR psnnetwork.org.
mail.psnnetwork.org. A 70.154.20.54
ns1.psnnetwork.org. A 70.154.20.59
ns2.psnnetwork.org. A 70.154.20.60
psnnetwork.org. NS ns1.psnnetwork.org.
psnnetwork.org. NS ns2.psnnetwork.org.
psnnetwork.org. A 70.154.20.54
psnnetwork.org. MX (10) mail.psnnetwork.org.
psnnetwork.org. TXT v=spf1 mx
webmail.psnnetwork.org. A 70.154.20.54
www.psnnetwork.org. CNAME psnnetwork.org.

authorization is set to SMTP
server host name fbclxsrvr.fbcwbhost.local

when I telnet into the system locally, this is what I get

Trying localhost
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 fbclxsrvr.fbcwbhost.local ESMTP

no matter what IP address I try I get the same results with the firewall enabled or disabled. I have checked the dns records at dnsstuff.com and everything seems fine.

I have tried to run the mchk utility as root from the command line and all I get is "command not found" when I looked in the /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/ and the mchk executable is there

Does anyone have any ideas or solution that can help me get this thing working.

Come on now, with all the expertise on here I can't believe no one has any ideas. Please, I'm begging.

First step would be to verify the login name is "test" instead of "Test" or "TEsT". The login is case-sensiTiVE. Please excuse my use of case, it's just as part of the example.

Second step would be to verify that you're using the right password (it, too, is case sensitive, but you already knew that one).

Third step, the smtp connection is there, it's trying to send, so it ISNT a problem with the server not getting the info. It's a problem with the authentication. It should be one of the two above issues. Also, verify under Server -> Mail that you're set to use full login names, not short login names. Full logins meaning with the @domain.com, while short logins only use the "test" portion.

Hope this helps you,

-John

I have verified that the account name and password are correct. Also verified it is set to full login names.

the log file entry is dirrfent now

Dec 27 11:07:09 fbclxsrvr pop3d: IMAP connect from @ [68.209.195.84]INFO: LOGIN, user=test, ip=[68.209.195.84]

but it still does not work

Thank you for the help John

AJ

Hello,

Try to google on the error number that the mail client throws.

Also check the smtp settings on your mail client.

After finally updating my main production server to "live" 8.1 status, I've realized that this is a much larger issue than I originally believed. This is currently hurting my Horde configuration, as the issue is with the login AND domain name, both of which appear to be Case Sensitive. For those of us who have clients with CaSE.Different.Domains, this means they are unable to login to webmail through horde.

As of this posting, I'm looking for a fix to make this work the way it used to, as 8.0 didn't have this problem. Not sure if Plesk/SW-Soft is just trying to play with us, or if they've "fixed" a "bug" from previous versions. But this just doesn't make sense to me. I'll update you when I know more.

Ok, I found a temporary fix, until I can find exactly what settings is messing with "checkmailpasswd" and it not accepting different case in the @DomAIn. I've modified the /var/qmail/users/poppasswd file (format login@domain:password:maildir, or something along those lines). I've dropped the case on the @domain portion, tested, and this did re-enable my webmail on the "test" account. I've followed this through the rest of the major clients i have, and have been able to re-establish the accounts as needed for the time being.

I'm currently looking for the setting to fix this perminately (for checkmailpasswd). Unfortunately, the only things I've been able to locate through google or swsoft directly are errors with full login capabilities being enabled or users not existing (which did exist, as in my case, but no resolution). The closest things I've found were..

/usr/local/psa/sbin/mchk -v (rebuilds your mail configuration files, etc. Did not fix the problem for me.)

ensuring that 127.0.0.1 is localhost in /etc/hosts (again, didn't work for me).

And the manual switch. If anyone knows where to change the config for imapd to allow the domain to be case-insensitive, any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated at this time. I'll continue to google around for courier-imap and insensitive case, but we all know how that goes sometimes.

I am not sure if this will help you, but I had the same problem with password checking now working until I added the file domain name next to the username. I had (under Server/Mail settings)

"Use of short (webmaster) and full ([email protected]) POP3/IMAP mail account names is allowed" checked

so I couldn't figure out why it wanted the whole name. Well I check

"Only use of full POP3/IMAP mail accounts names is allowed" and click ok and then went back into the server/mail settings and checked use the short names again and it fixed the problem.

Dean

Back