• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Email, qmail-remote, phpbb, recipients?

D

davidwinter

Hi all.

I have a phpBB forum setup which has around 900+ members.

I try to use the mass email feature to email all of the members, however, only a handful actually receive the email (maybe around 10).

I can see the email in the mail queue using the Plesk Control Panel. After a while, it disappears from the queue, and I receive the following email:

=======

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.myserver.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Unable to run qmail-remote.

(lots of the members email addresses with the same error as above)

=======

The mass email feature has worked before when there wasn't as many members on the forum. However, now that more people have registered, the emails never get sent out and I've no way of contacting the forum members.

Is there a limit to the number of recipients an email can have? Could that be causing the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated, as MediaTemple (my server hosts) aren't helping at all.

Thanks

David.

From reading some other threads and pages around the web, I understand this could be a problem with the qmail-remote processes that are created when sending emails.

Am I correct in my understanding that if I reduce the number of processes that are spawned using concurrency-remote, that it'll be less strain on the server? And probably best, as I'm using a 'dedicated virtual' server?

If so, could someone please help me in accomplishing this? I'm really not too sure how to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm having the same problem! I've recently switched to VPS and started to move clients' websites and mailboxes. Just next day fonud my client complaining about email bounceback. And it was just about 20 recipents in which about 9 addresses got bounced with "Unable to run qmail-remote" error. How to deal with this, could anyone help?

Thanks

davidwinter, weelk -

I am having the same problem. This thread is over a year old - did you ever discover a solution? I would appreciate the help if possible. Thanks.

Check that there are no failcounters for 'numfiles' parameter if you have Virtuozzo VPS there.
# cat /proc/user_beancounters

inside VPS.

Back