• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Email to ignore after +

CrispinP

New Pleskian
Hi folks,

In gmail you can have an email address such as [email protected]
You can also have [email protected]
In fact, you can have anything after the "+" - it becomes a wildcard.

Is this possible with plesk / other?

I have an email address, [email protected] but my forum sends emails with the reply of [email protected] so that it can better match the bounced email with the intended user. However, I cannot see how to get plesk to allow this.

thanks for the help

Crispin

Hi CrispinP,

the standart list of allowed characters in usernames for "dovecot" are defined as:

Code:
# List of allowed characters in username. Only "'" is added here to the default list.
auth_username_chars = abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@'

You can find this settings at "/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf"

If you want a unique definition, comment the standard with a "#" in front of the setting and create you very own "*.conf" - file at "/etc/dovecot/conf.d/" with your unique definition, which won't be overwritten in case of updates/upgrades/patches from Plesk.

Thanks for the reply. That's brilliant to know. So, by allowing a plus into the username, ergo email address, does that then ignore everything after the plus?

So, I need bounce+123@ and bounce+456 to both be picked up by bounce@.

I already have a catch-all which sends to info@ so cannot use info@

Thanks,
Crispin

Hi CrispinP,

Thanks for the reply. That's brilliant to know. So, by allowing a plus into the username, ergo email address, does that then ignore everything after the plus?

So, I need bounce+123@ and bounce+456 to both be picked up by bounce@.

No, the "+" - character adds not automatically an alias for the used username. This will be achieved by adding the COMPLETE alias over your Plesk Control Panel at "Home > Subscriptions > example-domain.com > Mail > Email Addresses > [email protected]" ( Tab: eMail Aliases )

Hi,

The problem with that is that I don't know what the aliases are. The forum (XenForo) sends emails with a return address of bounce+<guid>@tld.com. It then monitors the bounce email account for replies and if a reply has the +<guid> then it knows exactly to whom the email was sent and deal with it that way. This is why I need a catch-all-after-theplus-sign type of alias. Not sure how google do it but it's quite handy.

Hi CrispinP,

well, the "+" part in XenForo is a VALIDATION part, so consider to use a "catch-all" - eMail - adress, which can be set at "Home > Subscriptions > example.com > Mail > Mail Settings"

catch_all_001.png

catch_all_002.png

... BUT ( !!! ), I really don't recommend that, because you might get an awfull lot of spam there after a while.

Pls. read as well:

upload_2015-1-8_14-46-58-png.94177

Apart from that, pls. note, that this here is a "PLESK related" - forum. Consider to ask XenForo - related questions at their forum => https://xenforo.com/community/

Hi,

Thanks for the pics. I understand what it all is - I was just wondering if the mail server plesk uses can ignore anything after the +. As you've said though - it can't. This is not the end of the world though as it does work without it. :)

Thanks for your time and help - much appreciated!

C

Back