• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Email With Multiple Domains

J

Jericon

I have multiple domains setup on the same IP address. I am having problems when two of those domains have an email address with the same account name. For example, [email protected] and [email protected]. When setting up the accounts if I use the same password for both accounts, I receive errors that the password is invalid. Once they are setup, checking one of the accounts will download mail for the other. And the account that was setup last is not receiving any email at all.

Is this a known issue with Plesk? I am using 7.5.4 Reloaded for Unix.

Is there any way to resolve this issue short of changing the IP that the domains are on?

Log into Plesk control panel, go to Server Administration => Mail and make sure the "Only use of full POP3/IMAP mail accounts names is allowed" is checked. If you use short names, the passwords cannot be the same. Use the full email address and passwords can be the same.

Does this approach work on the Windows version? I was told that you cannot have the same named email account across multiple domains using Plesk for Windows...that two accounts like [email protected] and [email protected] would alias to the same account.

I am not familiar with Plesk for Windows so I cannot positively answer that question. I do know that with Plesk for Linux, the reason you cannot have to emails the same with short email names is because Plesk then uses the password to determine which email account you are using. However, with long email names, the domain is included in the email name so you can have duplicate names and passwords for that matter.

i.e. I have user1@domain1 with a password of xxxx123456
and I have user1@domain2 with a password of xxxx123456

Sorry I cannot help with the Windows question.

Back