• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Emails are delivered incorrectly

g4marc

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.44 Update #2
Hi,
we use Plesk as a reseller with our customers' domains and use an external DNS management.
for some customers we have adjusted the mx records in the external dns administration for the use of microsoft exchange.
everything woks well so far.
but if one of the customers on this server sends an email to another customer who is also hosted on the same server (but with the adjusted mx configuration on the external dns), it will be delivered to the local mailbox, but not to the exchange server.

I set the plesk dns to "slave" for that customer with exchange-account, but it don't change this behavior.
changing plesk MX-records to microsoft doesn't change anything either.

how to solve this issue?

thx
Marc

This is not solvable with dns alone: If you let plesk handle a domain normally, then domain.tld will be recognized as local by the mailserver.
One workaround would be to not let plesk handle domain.tld as a whole, but only add subdomains like www.domain.tld etc. Then domain.tld will not be local and mail delivery will follow the MX.

In order to have mails delivered via your external MX server, the recipient's account on your local server must have email service deactivated. Else your mail server thinks that he is authoritative for the domain itself.

thx for answers.

I'm wondering that it doesn't work via DNS management? Actually, you can edit the entries accordingly and enter the external mail server there. then what is it good for?

I haven't tried deactivating the email function for this account yet, but I'm afraid that I'll get the message from the mail server, it's an unknown address.
Has anyone tried that yet?

Unfortunately, I can't test it immediately because of that issue there is a lot of emails in their mailbox that they haven't read yet.

Back