• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Empty Maillog Issue

skywalllker

New Pleskian
Hi, I can't figure out why my maillog is empty. I have checked both locations below but result remain the same:

/usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog
/var/log/maillog

I'm running this Plesk inside OpenVZ container (using centos-7-x86_64-minimal template)

Plesk Version: Web Admin Edition

Thank you!

Hi skywalllker,

depending on your "/etc/rsyslog.conf" ( or "/etc/syslog.conf" ) - configuration, there might be a different log - location defined, than the standard "/usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog", which should be a symlink to "/var/log/maillog".

Please make sure, that rsyslog is running as well and restart it, if you made some changes.:

service rsyslog restart
( or: service syslog restart )
There might be as well a problem with psa, so you could as well try to run the command:

/etc/init.d/psa stop && /etc/init.d/psa start
( or: service psa stop && service psa start )​

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to locate rsyslog.conf and syslog.conf in /etc directory, but unfortunately none of the specified files exist. However, there's a folder named rsyslog.d containing files named listen.conf with content below:

$SystemLogSocketName /run/systemd/journal/syslog (I have no clue if this relevant to my issue or not)

Also, after restarting psa, the command you suggested return error as below:

[root@plesk etc]# service rsyslog restart
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart rsyslog.service
Failed to issue method call: Unit rsyslog.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

[root@plesk etc]# service syslog restart
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart syslog.service
Failed to issue method call: Unit syslog.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

Thank you

Is this a fresh installation?

please use "find / -name 'rsyslog.conf' 2> /dev/null" ( or syslog.conf ), to locate your configuration file.

If you need to install rsyslog, for CentOS the command would be "yum -y install rsyslog"

Yes, this is a fresh installation. Following your advise, I have installed 'rsyslog' and now my maillog started to have content as it suppose to.

Thank you for your help :)

I also had this issue on a fresh install of Plesk 12 on CentOS7 OpenVZ Container. Shouldn't the Plesk installer automatically install rsyslogd on CentOS 7 as part of its standard RPMs?

Back