• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Error restoring a domain from backup.

Arun V

New Pleskian
Hello Experts,

Sorry for such a long post, but the error log covers most of the part.

I am trying to restore a domain from my old hosting provider to the new hosting provider. However, I am unable to do this even after trying various options.

Source Server:
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1
Microsoft Windows 6.1;build-7601;sp1.0;suite272;product3
Parallels Plesk Panel v11.0.9_build20120609.17 os_Windows 2008
1GB free disk space

Destination Server:
Windows Server 2008 R2 Web Edition SP1
Microsoft Windows 6.1;build-7601;sp1.0;suite1296;product3
Parallels Plesk Panel v11.0.9_build20120609.17 os_Windows 2008
20GB free disk space

# 1. I tried creating backup in the old server, at the domain level, via Plesk Panel and downloaded the backup in the new server, uploaded it to the Panel via 'Upload files to the repository' option in the Backup Manager. At this time, the domain created successfully in the vhosts directory, but then the contents were not updated.

# 2. I tried creating backup at the server level, via Plesk Panel, and downloaded the backup in the new server, uploaded it to the Panel via 'Upload files to the repository' option in the Backup Manager. At this time it ends up in the following error:

Error:domain "domainx.com"
Execution of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\bin\domain.exe" --update domainx.com -guid GUID_1 -vendor-guid GUID_2 -creation-date 2011-10-10 -hosting true -hst_type phys -do-not-apply-skeleton -ip <DESTINATION IP> -www-root httpdocs -login ezediet -passwd "" -passwd_type sym -shell "Login Enabled" -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 3.
Stderr is
Data error (cyclic redundancy check). (Error code 23) at BCryptDecrypt()

######### There are 9 such lines #########
Error:domain "domainx.com"
Failed deployment of mail user [email protected]

Error:
Execution of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\bin\mail.exe" --create [email protected] -passwd "" -passwd_type sym -mailbox true -mbox_quota 52428800B -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 3.
Stderr is
######### There are 9 such lines #########

Error:hosting "domainx.com"
Execution of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\bin\domain.exe" --update domainx.com -ssl false -iis_app_pool false -err_docs true -maintenance-mode false -webstat awstats -php_handler_type fastcgi -write_modify false -asp.net true -asp.net_version 2.0 -ssi false -ssi_html false -php true -php_version 5 -cgi true -perl true -asp false -python true -coldfusion false -miva false -webdeploy false -max-connections -1 -traffic-bandwidth -1 -log-rotate true -log-compress true -log-max-num-files 10 -log-bysize 204800000B -guid GUID_1 -vendor-guid GUID_2 -creation-date 2011-10-10 -hosting true -hst_type phys -do-not-apply-skeleton -ip <DESTINATION IP> -www-root httpdocs -login ezediet -passwd "" -passwd_type sym -shell "Login Enabled" -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 3.
Stderr is

Error:database user "dbuser"
Failed deployment of database user dbuser of database database

Error:
Execution of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\bin\database.exe" --update database -add_user dbuser -type mysql -default -passwd "" -passwd_type sym -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 3.
Stderr is

Could you please help me with this.

Thank you in advance.

I can assume that backup was created on old server, and old passwords in this backup was encrypted with key form old server, but at new server this key was randomly generated again.
Hence during backup restoration, Plesk was not able to decrypt passwords and throw errors.
Only way to fix this issue is to manually change all password in backup.

Hi Igor,

Thank you for your reply.

While creating backups on the old server, I didn't set any passwords. Do you want me to set the same passwords for all the usernames and FTP accounts on both the servers? The target and source server OS flavors are different, does that matter?

Awaiting your reply,

The target and source server OS flavors are different, does that matter?
I'm not sure but most probably that it does matter. There is really something wrong with passwords encryption/decryption.

I'm not sure but most probably that it does matter. There is really something wrong with passwords encryption/decryption.

Let me check this with my team if this was set. I will revert once this is confirmed.

Thanks Igor.

Hi Igor,

Our developer has actually encrypted some PHP files and class files under the includes folder for security reasons.

Will this backup & restore take place if we disable the encryption in the source server => backup the domain contents => move it over to the new server => restore it in the new server. Will this affect the functionality of site in any way?

Please advise.

Greetings Igor,

We have decrypted the file from the old server, backed up the contents via backup manager, at domain level, moved it over to the new server, tried to restore. I was greeted with the exact same error.

Could you please let me know how to edit the password from the backup file? I see the XML file that was inside the backup zip file and I do see some lines for password field. I am enclosing an example below.

<ftpuser name="pullbackup">
<sysuser name="pullbackup" home="/">
<password type="sym">$AES-128-CBC$T2S4uKl3bArgQnpV5vB6FA$NTFhXGnpp/yHyhzTAFwvvQ9ve/nlpGGckIOb8dFCVSM</password>
<cron>PHNjaGVkdWxlIGVtYWlsPSImcXVvdDsmcXVvdDsiIGVuYWJsZT0idHJ1ZSI+PHRhc2tzIC8+PC9zY2hlZHVsZT4=</cron>
</sysuser>
<permission>download</permission>
<permission>upload</permission>
</ftpuser>

<mailuser id="6" name="username" forwarding-enabled="false" mailbox-quota="26214400">
<properties>
<password type="sym">$AES-128-CBC$ZKx05SxJOZBkHgedq7SvnQ$NnUV3ptc2SXziHjd6409Yw</password>
</properties>

I could understand that editing this file or some other file inside the backup would let me migrate smoothly. Could you please let me know which file to edit.

Could you please advise me in this.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Thank you in advance.

Since Plesk 11, Plesk stores passwords encrypted using md5 hashes and symmetrical hash. Passwords stored in symmetrical hash cannot be restored as key file is different or missing.
At the moment there is only one solution if PMM cannot be used to transfer data to reset all the passwords encrypted with AES-128 encryption. But note that some passwords will remain encrypted (i.e. aps_password in psa.misc table).

Workaround in general:

Replace
<password type=sym>*</password>
with
<password type=plain></password>

C:\Parallels\Plesk\Backup>"%plesk_dir%additional\perl\bin\perl.exe" -lpe "s/<password type=\"sym\">(.+)<\/password>/<password type=\"plain\"><\/password>/g" backup_info_1212041244.xml > tt.xml

Last edited:
Hello Igor,

Thank you for your reply. I tried what you said and it worked. Now the error is gone. I receive another error now. I am enclosing this below.

Wrong syntax for command's '-passwd' parameter. and

From this error, could understand that the -passwd switch is not supported in Plesk 11. Am I right? Also, I referred these articles http://kb.parallels.com/112686 that finds a solution if the Phone Number is not matching. Is there a similar way to fix this, if yes, could you please advise.

###### DETAILED ERROR ######
Error:domain "domain.com"
Execution of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\bin\domain.exe" --update domain.com -guid 2EACF6B8-7B64-47CD-B0CE-86AE756D3E8A
-vendor-guid 2E972E96-D312-4E00-8C96-53C9B57834C3 -creation-date 2011-10-10 -hosting true -hst_type phys
-do-not-apply-skeleton -ip <DESTINATION IP> -www-root httpdocs -login username -passwd "" -passwd_type sym -shell "Login Enabled"
-ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
Wrong syntax for command's '-passwd' parameter.

Failed deployment of mail user [email protected]

Error:
Execution of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\bin\mail.exe" --create [email protected]
-passwd "" -passwd_type sym -mailbox true -mbox_quota 26214400B -aliases add:email.alias
-ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
An error occurred during mail account creation: Cannot create mail account:

Internal server error: DB query failed: Duplicate entry '74-domain_key' for key 1

Error:hosting "domain.com"
Execution of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\bin\domain.exe"
--update domain.com -ssl false -iis_app_pool false -err_docs true -maintenance-mode false
-webstat awstats -php_handler_type fastcgi -write_modify false -asp.net true -asp.net_version 2.0
-ssi false -ssi_html false -php true -php_version 5 -cgi true -perl true -asp false -python true
-coldfusion false -miva false -webdeploy false -max-connections -1 -traffic-bandwidth -1
-log-rotate true -log-compress true -log-max-num-files 10 -log-bysize 204800000B
-guid 2EACF6B8-7B64-47CD-B0CE-86AE756D3E8A -vendor-guid 2E972E96-D312-4E00-8C96-53C9B57834C3
-creation-date 2011-10-10 -hosting true -hst_type phys -do-not-apply-skeleton
-ip <DESTINATION IP> -www-root httpdocs -login ezediet -passwd ""
-passwd_type sym -shell "Login Enabled" -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
Stderr is

Error:database user "dbuser"
Failed deployment of database user dbuser of database admin_database

Error:
Execution of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\bin\database.exe"
--update admin_ezediet2012 -add_user eze2012 -type mysql -default -passwd ""
-passwd_type sym -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
Stderr is

I think we are so close to find a solution. Thank you for your continued support.

Hello Igor,

I tried to restore the backup file via Command, but I am still receiving the error, while turning on the -verbose option

# Wrong syntax for command's '-passwd' parameter

Please let me know if you want me to send more information that might help troubleshoot.

Could you please help me in fixing this. I am awaiting your response.

Thank you,

Thank you Igor.

Let me check with my team if there were any such characters used. I will update you with my findings.

Hello Igor,

I am back again. I have checked this with my team and no one were using any national characters for passwords for their emails. The databases and panel passwords too are not using any national character. In such case, could you please let me know how to proceed?

Awaiting your response.

Thank you,

Back