1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Expand and DNS (before Purchase)

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.0 and Legacy General Discussion' started by adstock, Jul 11, 2006.

1. adstock

adstock Guest

Hello

We have two Plesk Server, both with unlimited licences, and Drweb etc.

One Server is a Co-location hosting house and the Other is our office.

The Idea is that the Co-Location server is the master and all the DNS Entries we Create are automaically copied to the backup server in the office. So the Slave can run as a true Secondary Copy of the DNS records rather and a lookup to the master.

Can Copy all the web sites from the master to the slave. and is it reliable, and do you configur a schedule etc.

Does the master copy anything from the slave, as we want to put our Development Sites on the Slave, but we do not want these copied up to the master.

The Intention is that if the Master goes down, we can simply change the firewall rules on the Slave and bring all the sites back up again.

Is Expand the Product that will do this as I am having trouble understannd what Expand Will do for me and what it won't do.
    :)

Cheers in advance

2. eugenevdm

eugenevdm Silver Pleskian

68%
    I don't work for Plesk but we use Expand with success. First I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. Of course you can copy DNS to and from. All you need for this is to find a script on this forum made by Atomic Turtle. How to automatically set your off-site as a Master is another story. But at least you can have an exact DNS copy by using scripts. Please also remember that Plesk Expand DNS does not yet support aliasses so if this is a criteria in your DNS be carefull.

2. As for replicating web sites, setting up schedules, etc., that you'll have to figure out on your own. At a basic level you could write scripts to FTP your master files to your backup site but you'll also have to figure out other more complex parts, such as configuration files and MySQL replication. Plesk Expand wasn't designed to do this.

We use Plesk Expand to address the following areas:

1. Every time we added a new Plesk server we ended up having another e-mail server. From an administrative point of view this is a nightmare. And when we added Plesk Windows server it all went haywire - reason - the initial MailEnable release corrupted configuration files - mail server down the whole time - and also running a e-mail server on Windows is just a waste of time. Now we have a central e-mail server and life is so much better now.

2. When you have multiple Plesk servers you have to provide your clients with multiple control panel logins...if you have hundreds of domains and clients this becomes an admin problem. Furthermore from our systems admins point of view this was a problem because they had to try and remember on which server a particular client's account was commissioned.

3. Plesk out of the box doesn't support Reseller. At least, out of the box, Resellers can't create accounts. Expand offers this facility.

So in context of what you want to do no I don't think Expand is right for you because you are looking for failover / redundancy whereas Plesk Expand is more about running Plesk in a distributed environment.

3. adstock

adstock Guest

Hello eugenevdm

Thank you for this, I concerned that I would spend 400 dollars and not get want I need, and you quiet correct, we are trying to create a failover server rather than a Cluster.

Cheers
    Adstock