• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Fail2Ban Plesk Extention

PriyanA

Regular Pleskian
Hi Everyone,

I just want to input some info here,

1. It seems Plesk GUI currently not using UTF-8 Encoding for Fail2Ban Filter Add/Edit text area.

so Do Not Copy Past anything from Internet into the Filter Code editor, this may lead to Fail2ban to get stuck. Best way to add or create/edit Filter is use command line editor for now.

2. Use the actual line(s) in log files not the log you see in Plesk GUI.

3. Use this to create a simple failregex - you can match a log line here --> http://regexr.com/

4. Always test the Filter before you create a Jail and make sure you only get match for what you expected.

fail2ban-regex <Path/actual logfile>(Wildcard does not work here) /etc/fail2ban/filter.d/filter.local --print-all-matched

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi PriyanA,

so Do Not Copy Past anything from Internet into the Filter Code editor. This will lead to Fail2ban to get stuck. Best way to add or create/edit Filter is use command line editor for now.

Sorry, but this is nonsense.
As a linux system administrator, you should be aware, that "copy&paste" from forums/sites with your browser, might result in issues/errors/problems, due to the fact, that some browsers copy as well BB-Code/HTML characters ( depending on your unique/standard setting for your browser), which might be invisible for your eyes, but still available inside the copied string. That's why it is recommended to copy the desired copy-string FIRST into an ASCII - Text - Editor, followed by another copy FROM the ASCII - Text - Editor, finished by the pasting into a Plesk Control Panel - textbox, or onto your ssh - command line for example. ;)
The Plesk Control Panel doesn't decode copied commands at the provided text - boxes and it's not invented to do that. It will take the copied code "as it is", with all visible and unvisible characters.

@UFHH01, Thank you for your input.

I have marked the tread as a input.

I think Plesk is used by every level of the users not just the Linux System Administrators.

Of cause I do COPY AND PASTE into the Plesk File Manager Code editor without any issue!

Back