• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Fail2Ban recidive: how it work ?

OverWolf

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

I'm on CentOS 7.3 with Plesk 17.5.3 and I'm configuring fail2ban (0.9.6) recidive to ban for 24 hours an ip. But if you look at the print-screen seems that it doesn't work as I expect.
When an IP is found for a specific jail it's banned for the period that I have configured for that event (my postfix example is banned for 2 hours) even if that IP is found as recidive.
So, what's wrong ? Am I missing something ?

Thank you

Attachments

• Fail2Ban.png
    Fail2Ban.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 62
Hi,
i've done other tests, and probably I found the error; I've changed the interval for detection of subsequent attacks and now seems that recidive works as expected.
So, I would like to know if I understand how it works: after the max numbers of failed login attempts (ssh, ftp, postfix, etc.), the ip is ban as recidive. If it so, why the default interval of detection is so sort ?

The recidive jail analyzes the fail2ban.log file. It does not directly analyze the postfix (maillog) log. Recidive counts the number of bans in the fail2ban.log.

Back