• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue FATAL_ERROR: Unable to find Plesk 17.x. Tool must be launched prior to upgrade to Plesk 18.0.31

swagh

New Pleskian
Hi,

I am facing below error while trying to upgrade from onyx 17.5.3 to "Plesk Obsidian 18.0.31 even after correcting the sources.list file:
===============
Enabled repositories check
Plesk installation requires 'Debian/stretch/main' OS repository to be enabled.
Make sure it is available and enabled, then try again.
Plesk pre-upgrade check
FATAL_ERROR: Unable to find Plesk 17.x. Tool must be launched prior to upgrade to Plesk 18.0.31 for the purpose of getting a report on potential problems with the upgrade.
=============

Current Plesk version is Version 17.5.3. I am upgrading to "Plesk Obsidian 18.0.31".
Would someone else please help?

Looks like that pre-upgrade was failing because Plesk database was not upgraded or some parameters in the database were not updated.
In order to fix it, try to repair the plesk database with the plesk repair db utility.
Then run the upgrade to Obsidian again.

I have fixed:
=========
Plesk installation requires 'Debian/stretch/main' OS repository to be enabled.
Make sure it is available and enabled, then try again.
=========
by updating /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plesk-migrator.list

but below error is still there:

=========
Plesk pre-upgrade check
FATAL_ERROR: Unable to find Plesk 17.x. Tool must be launched prior to upgrade to Plesk 18.0.31 for the purpose of getting a report on potential problems with the upgrade.
==========

Please check the output of the following commands:

# cat /usr/local/psa/version
# plesk db "select val from misc where param='version'"
# plesk version

Thank you, @IgorG! There seems to be a problem.

========
#cat /usr/local/psa/version
12.5.30 Debian 7.0 1205160608.10

========
#plesk version
Product version: Plesk Onyx 12.5.30
Build date: 2016/06/08 10:00
OS version: Debian 9.13
Revision: 55d1b49a272f44666e1920eca8b6e4da449a38cd
Architecture: 64-bit
Wrapper version: 1.2

========
# plesk db "select val from misc where param='version'"
+-----------+
| val |
+-----------+
| 017005003 |
+-----------+
=========

It is showing old versions of OS and Plesk.

Any thoughts? How can I fix this?

As you can see your database has 17.x version but the system is 12.5 version. Try to perform an upgrade to 17.5 version first and then to 18.0.31
Or contact Plesk Support Team for fixing this upgrade problem directly on your server.

Also you can try to restore dump of database from 12.5 version from /var/lib/psa/dumps/ ann then perform an upgrade to 17.8 first and then to Obsidian.

Thank you very much, @IgorG! How can I manually upgrade to 17.5? When I try to update through GUI, it gives the option to upgrade to Obsidian 18.0.31 only. The plesk control panel also shows that the version is:

ProductPlesk Onyx
Version 17.5.3 Update #65, last updated on May 29, 2020 06:25 AM

Thanks again, @IgorG! Really helpful!

I have only a couple of questions now:
1. Will this cause any downtime?
2. Do I still need to restore dump of database from 12.5 version before performing the upgrade? If yes, then I guess I should use the dump file named like mysql.preupgrade.12.5.30-17.0.17.20170424-223743.dump.gz?

1. Will this cause any downtime?
Yes, it is possible.
2. Do I still need to restore dump of database from 12.5 version before performing the upgrade? If yes, then I guess I should use the dump file named like mysql.preupgrade.12.5.30-17.0.17.20170424-223743.dump.gz?
Yes, I'd restore dump for system consistency before the upgrade.

Thank you! I will schedule this during off hours and let you know. I guess below command should be sufficient to restore the dump?

plesk bin pleskrestore --restore "Backup-file"

So, in my case, it would be:

plesk bin pleskrestore --restore mysql.preupgrade.12.5.30-17.0.17.20170424-223743.dump.gz

Are you sure it is wise to restore a 3½ year old dump?
This may not be the best idea, but it will allow you to upgrade to the version 17.x from which there is an actual database dump that can be restored. And then upgrade to Obsidian.
Do you have any better ideas? Why not suggest?

Interesting to watch this thread! I am also wondering about the idea to restore such an old dump. Would this issue affect only plesk or also the user data / websites and mails?
Or in other words: Would mails and websites be reversed back to 3 years ago? Would it mean that mails of the last 3 years are being not available temporarily until the new Plesk is running, which allows upgrade? Or will there just be a downtime within plesk?
Regards

This may not be the best idea, but it will allow you to upgrade to the version 17.x from which there is an actual database dump that can be restored. And then upgrade to Obsidian.
Do you have any better ideas? Why not suggest?
I'd first try to investigate why there is such a difference in versions. If the old dump is there, maybe there also are old migration logs that could give a hint to what happened there.
As there seem to be some 17.5 tools installed, it might break even worse with the 12.5 database. And not be able to upgrade to 17.5.
Second, before installing an old dump, I would absolutely make sure a current 17.x dump exists and is restorable. Ideally also a full system backup.

Back