• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Feature Freeze Request / Bug fixes / Open Source Software

J

JoaoCorreia

Dear Sw-Soft,

Looking at these forums you can see some normal complaints refering Plesk errors, some by users fault and some by sw-soft fault.

Sw-soft is making Plesk available for many platforms with a increasing number of features. Probably in a near future with so many features and so many platforms more bugs will apear, caused by the diferent restrains of each platform.

IMHO, Sw-soft should do a Feature Freeze on Plesk and repair/investigate all bugs, tune all current features and stop marketing/wasting time with foolish modules like Game modules and dedicate more to the hosting industry needs.

And why SW-Soft doesnt takes a serious look at OPENSOURCE software ?

ART for example did a very good job with
qmail-scanner and an open source antivirus, that lots of hosting companys use !

Why dont you use more OPEN SOURCE ?

I wouldn't mind paying for a qmail-scanner solution with open source antivirus. Of course with a nice front-end made by Sw-soft .

This is more general than this, I'm sure there are more examples like the one I gave.

Best Regards
Joao Correia

In many cases it isn't allowed to user OS software when it is used in a commercial product.

Yes please slow down and fix the bugs 100% before moving on and creating more bugs.

I always have 4 or 5 open bug tickets with tech support. It's driving me nuts!

The problem is, there is an open source doing virtuozzo type VPS systems, and doing it much better. Take a look at the vserver project.

If they had not added smtp reject to plesk 7.5 I would have gone over to a vserver system. It truely acts like a dedicated server and you can recompile/patch/change anything, bind, qmail, php etc.

If swsoft could seperate plesk from the OS, so it really is a control panel, not an ontergrated part of a modified OS, then they stand a chance of improving. Also making configuration/compile option data open for users to read would mean that anyone can make changes which their situation requires, without breaking the control panel.

I agree that SWSoft should have a go at a fetaure-fix release next (as I don't think there are any outstanding 'bugs' per se).

I'd like to see all the little features people have been asking for introduced in the next service release instead of major new features.

As for OSS, Plesk currently uses quite a lot of it - if you can install qmail and horde and proftpd, etc, then there's hardly an issue of using *more* OSS software!
I think they are moving that way with the API though - if more can be done here to help 3rd party developers provide add-ons for plesk, then I think that will only make it stand out as a desired control panel.

Open Source

When I mean Open Source software , I mean:

Why DrWeb if we have open source antivirus , ClamAV ? or better yet look at ART package with qmail-scanner. You can use any Antivirus you like. Flexibility is the word.

Yes Plesk is full of OpenSource, some of wich closed !

Regards
Joao Correia

I agree

After reading through this thread I have to add my 10 cents and agree that SW-Soft is doing a great job and providing a great product but they need to slow down and clean-up the code. I just had a production server suffer a serious blow when upgrading. Several hours of work were required to clean up the mess. I don't have the luxury to test everything before deploying into production and at some point I have to trust that SW-Soft is doing the job right and I should be able to have sufficient faith in their work so I can role out upgrades without to worry that it is going to kill my servers. If this is not the case why am I paying them good money for a lousy product. If I have to clean up the mess I am going back to a completely open source platform where I have to do the work anyway.

And you know that with open source, if you run in to a problem, someone has probably already solved it, and the next release of the product will also include this fix. Although I have probably come across more problems with open source software, I can always find a solution. When the software is not open source, you usually find there is no solution other than to wait at the mercy of the software company.

Im with you on flexibility, I like qmail and all that, but its such way too much effort to get the effect you want than something more modern/maintained like postfix. Id definitely like to see the product opened up to the vendor supplied MTA.

Back