• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question File console.log constantly growing

SOSINFO

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have a Plesk v18.0.24_build1800200215.00 os_CentOS 7 . And a use the Plesk Prenium Email. For few day we have a big probleme.

The espace disk is growing constatly. After analyse i see the file console.log (In location : /var/log/Kolab-Syncroton) growing very fast. For example, this morning the file was 54Go ! After deleting, 1 hours the file go 14Go...

I don't understand why. When he 54Go i cannot open. Vim stopped when i try to open..

What is it the file "console.log" because i don't understand. I open file when is smaller and i see the content of email send by client.

if someone have an idea i realy need !

Thanks for you help.

Ps : Sorry for my english is bad.. I'm French :)

The same here:

Code:
2.6G    /var/log/kolab-syncroton/console.log
2.5G    /var/log/kolab-syncroton/errors.log

Obviously no rotation configured. How to fix this?

Same problem here. Massive files in kolab-syncroton (which I think stands for "Kolab Sync Rotation On" Which it appears it is not...

Code:
38G     console.log
6G      errors.log
1G      sendmail.log

I want to start by saying I have minimal experience in this, but here was the solution that worked for me.

The problem was the file "/etc/logrotate.d/kolab-syncroton" has this in the conf file:

Code:
/var/log/kolab-syncroton/console /var/log/kolab-syncroton/errors /var/log/kolab-syncroton/imap /var/log/kolab-syncroton/ldap /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sendmail /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sieve /var/log/kolab-$
    weekly
    missingok
    rotate 12
    compress
    notifempty
    create 0640 roundcube_sysuser roundcube_sysgroup
}

That looks correct, but when I ran logrotate it gave me this error, which was clearly wrong, because I have a file that is 38Gb:

Code:
# logrotate -vf kolab-syncroton
reading config file kolab-syncroton

Handling 1 logs

rotating pattern: /var/log/kolab-syncroton/console /var/log/kolab-syncroton/errors /var/log/kolab-syncroton/imap /var/log/kolab-syncroton/ldap /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sendmail /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sieve /var/log/kolab-syncroton/smtp /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sql /var/log/kolab-syncroton/userlogins  forced from command line (12 rotations)
empty log files are not rotated, old logs are removed
considering log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/console
  log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/console does not exist -- skipping
considering log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/errors
  log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/errors does not exist -- skipping
considering log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/imap
  log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/imap does not exist -- skipping
considering log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/ldap
  log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/ldap does not exist -- skipping
considering log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sendmail
  log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sendmail does not exist -- skipping
considering log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sieve
  log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sieve does not exist -- skipping
considering log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/smtp
  log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/smtp does not exist -- skipping
considering log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sql
  log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sql does not exist -- skipping
considering log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/userlogins
  log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/userlogins does not exist -- skipping

So I created a new conf file in logrotate.d called kolab-syncroton1 and edited it to have ".log" at the end of each file, and ran it again and that worked.

So basically the solution is to add ".log" to the end of the file names I guess?

Mine looks like this:

Code:
/var/log/kolab-syncroton/console.log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/errors.log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/imap.log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/ldap.log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/sendmail.log /var/log/kolab-syncroton/s$
    weekly
    missingok
    rotate 12
    compress
    notifempty
    create 0640 roundcube_sysuser roundcube_sysgroup
}

Just as an FYI it failed because I did not have enough space on root volume to compress that large of a file. So I have to stop the compression and just delete it out I think.

You need to open the console.log file to determine the root cause of the issue. The logrotate can be a temporary solution to manage the disk space usage of the log file, but it's important to also address the underlying cause of the rapid growth.

Back