• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved File permission after changing PHP

Jim

Basic Pleskian
In the hosting settings, I changed the PHP support from Run PHP as CGI Application to Apache module and all the sudden I have file permission issues in WordPress. I added pasacln to apache :
Code:
sudo /usr/sbin/usermod -a -G apache pasacln

but I still have the file permission issue. If I switch back to PHP as CGI Application, then permission issue is resolved.

Can someone suggest a way to fix this?

Hi Jim,

pls. correct your command to: => psacln

... and pls. consider as well to add
Code:
sudo /usr/sbin/usermod -a -G nginx psacln

thanks but it says "user 'psacln' does not exist"

when I login using FTP it own/group for the files is "my_ftp_user psacln"

ups... sorry... my fault... I just copied YOUR command, without thinking about it.

The CORRECT command is certainly:

Code:
usermod -aG psacln nginx
... where the FIRST is always the GROUP and the second one is always the USER. ;)

ups... sorry... my fault... I just copied YOUR command, without thinking about it.

The CORRECT command is certainly:

Code:
usermod -aG psacln nginx
... where the FIRST is always the GROUP and the second one is always the USER. ;)
is this the only command I should run? just for nginx and no apache one?

Hi Jim,

there is "normally" no need to add the apache - system - user to the group psacln, but it won't do any harm to your system, if you do that. ;)

Hi Jim,

there is "normally" no need to add the apache - system - user to the group psacln, but it won't do any harm to your system, if you do that. ;)
Thanks, I added the command but I still have the permission issue
WordPress keeps asking me for ftp credentials and in some plugins I get can't write to file errors

if I switch back to PHP as CGI Application, then permission issue is resolved.

I want to be able to work with Apache module and not the PHP as CGI Application

Hi Jim,

pls. feel free to enable the ( old ) PHP - handlers ( which is not recommended anymore, because of several vulnerabilities! ), which are disabled by default now.

First, REREAD your PHP - handler, which are installed on your server ( logged in as user "root" over SSH ):
Code:
plesk bin php_handler --reread

Second, pls. LIST your PHP - handler on the command line:
Code:
plesk bin php_handler --list

Third, pls. ENABLE possible handler, which are in the state "disabled":
Code:
EXAMPLES ( !!! )

plesk bin php_handler --enable -id module

plesk bin php_handler --enable -id plesk-php71-cgi

=> You are now able to use the "mod_php" ( module ) version, and as well the CGI - version of the corresponding PHP - version. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jim
@UFHH
Hi Jim,

pls. feel free to enable the PHP - modules ( which is not recommended anymore, because of several vulnerabilities! ), which are disabled by default now.

First, REREAD your PHP - handler, which are installed on your server ( logged in as user "root" over SSH ):
Code:
plesk bin php_handler --reread

Second, pls. LIST your PHP - handler on the command line:
Code:
plesk bin php_handler --list

Third, pls. ENABLE possible handler, which are in the state "disabled":
Code:
EXAMPLES ( !!! )

plesk bin php_handler --enable -id module

plesk bin php_handler --enable -id plesk-php71-cgi

=> You are now able to use the "mod_php" ( module ) version, and as well the CGI - version of the corresponding PHP - version. ;)

Thanks, I didnt know PHP module is risky. The only reason I wanted to use it was to use APC. I installed APC using your instructions here but when I go to mysite.com/apc.php It says that APC is not installed. If I switched to Apache Module then it says APC is installed. We cant use APC when we have run php as fastcgi application?

Hi Jim,

did you know, that each PHP - version has it's OWN modules? To install APCu for your vendor PHP version, you would certainly use for example:

Code:
pecl install apcu

But if you use for example the additional PHP - version Plesk-PHP 7.1 for your (sub)domain, then you have to use:

Code:
/opt/plesk/php/7.1/bin/pecl install apcu

The "mod_php" - version is from your VENDOR and depending to your operating system and possible manual additionals, you will find this version at "/etc/php" or "/etc/php5". But when you use one of the Plesk PHP versions, the paths are:

Code:
/opt/plesk/php/5.2/
/opt/plesk/php/5.3/
/opt/plesk/php/5.4/
/opt/plesk/php/5.5/
/opt/plesk/php/5.6/
/opt/plesk/php/7.0/
/opt/plesk/php/7.1/

Back