• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

.files and .folders hidden

A

aviscat

Using Plesk 7.5.4 and have uploaded .htaccess and .htpasswd. Know they are there but can't see them in CuteFTP on my virtual server. Was able to see them on previous shared hostings. Is there a way to make them visible?

Originally posted by aviscat
Using Plesk 7.5.4 and have uploaded .htaccess and .htpasswd. Know they are there but can't see them in CuteFTP on my virtual server. Was able to see them on previous shared hostings. Is there a way to make them visible?

You can edit the httpd.conf file located in /etc/httpd/conf directory.

Look for:

<Files ~ "^/.th">
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
</Files>

Change the Deny from all to "Allow from all"
but are you sure you want to do this? You can edit the file in the Plesk file manager. I create the file on my local pc then upload it whenever I need to change it. You really have no need to look at it with cuteFTP as long as you have a local copy. No need to open it up to a hacker by making it visible.

Just my Opinion on the later.

Re: Re: .files and .folders hidden

Change the Deny from all to "Allow from all" but are you sure you want to do this?

So the default on Plesk is to hide .files and .folders from anyone seeing them. Just not used to that but then this is my first venture into dedicate servers. Thanks. I guess I can leave it as is.

Leave your httpd.conf alone. That is in there so nobody can access them trough there browser because .htaccess is a part of the apache configuration.

Things that start with a . (dot) ar not visible because they are hidden files on Linux, its as simple as that.

the dot is the equivalent of the hidden tag on windows

Your ftp programme has somewhere in its preferences a switch that says "show hidden files" or something like that. Enable it and you will see them.

regards
Jan

Linulex is correct - leave you config files alone.

If you are using CuteFTP, once you log into the server, click on "View" then on "Filters." Under "Server side filtering" check the box and add "-a" (without quotes) in the Remote filters field. Now you can see hidden files.

If you are using CuteFTP, once you log into the server, click on "View" then on "Filters." Under "Server side filtering" check the box and add "-a" (without quotes) in the Remote filters field. Now you can see hidden files.

Thanks so much. Last night I need to chmod a directory for an application to work and not knowing Linux too well I had to find help. This way I could have changed the permissions in 3 clicks. Oh well at least I learned something. :)

Shared Folders & Files

This might be ab slightly different question, but I hope you can help.

I have a company who wants to have some shared & private folders for doc storage. I know what is available on the file manager but can they can, for example, store company templates on Plesk in a specific folder and then from any of the offices any employee can go easily to that folder and open a file? In other words, we want it to look as it would on C:/My Documents on a local PC.

Would it require a VPN to do this? If so, I have not set up any of these and if someone can give me a pointer I would be most grateful.

Backup your .htaccess file, if any is existing. Make sure you save it somewhere. Every site has a different need, so if it's not a fresh site, someone might have included essential configuration there already.

The .htaccess file is probably not configured with the default WP code.
Create a new file in file manager > .htaccess > with the following:

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

# END WordPress

After creating, load the browser again and make sure the .htaccess is there. Open the file and check if it's not empty. Past the code from the link above inside the file and click save.

You might have to install the classic editor, also. To use blocks though, go to WP > Settings > Writing > choose blocks.

Back