• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Force Plesk to use existing DNS records elsewhere for Mail and MX

M

msams99

My customer has an existing Exchange server that is hosted seperately from their web site. I have set up a domain for them (domain.com) and there are some ASP scripts on the website that I am testing. I have not redelegate the domain yet, and the client runs their own DNS anyways. Everytime the ASP script sends an email to [email protected] Plesk tries to deliver the mail locally (to the catch all mailbox). I want Plesk to send the mail to the actual MX record for the domain.

I tried switching off Mail for this domain, but the emails are still going to the catch all mailbox. Is there anyway to force Plesk to use the regular DNS records, specifically the MX record, and deliver any and all mails from ASP or other domains on this box to their Exchange server?

Thanks you for any help!

Go to your server windows directory and edit the php.ini file.
Go to the section called [mail function] and change the
SMTP = localhost
to
SMTP = mail.yourdomain.com
or whatever your mail server name is...

Hope this helps!
Ricardo...:cool:

Thanks for the idea softpac2000, however I am looking for a general way to turn off mail and use the current MX record for whatever the reason, not just PHP. In fact I am not even concerned with PHP at the moment, I am trying to get it to work with ASP and with other domains hosted on the same server sending mail to domain.com.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

bump...

Someone suggested a technique if I was running plesk on a linux box like this:

* remove the domain from /usr/local/psa/qmail/control/rcpthosts
* then restart qmail

Does this give any ideas to anyone for my windows version problem?

Thanks.

If I am not wrong, I beleive Plesk (Horde) works with PHP, that's why I sugested the changes above.

But I just noticed you want to do this only for a specific client.... and not globally!....

Try this if you haven't already!...

Go to your clients domain DNS and replace the MX record if you havn't done so already!

<domain>. MX (10) mail.yourclientmailserver.com.

Also make sure that under the Client / Preferences, the Webmail is not enabled!...

Also type ipconfig /flushdns on the command prompt to clear the resolver cache!

Try all this to see if it works for you! I beleive it will!...

Hope this helps!
Ricardo...:cool:

Originally posted by msams99
bump...

Someone suggested a technique if I was running plesk on a linux box like this:

* remove the domain from /usr/local/psa/qmail/control/rcpthosts
* then restart qmail

Does this give any ideas to anyone for my windows version problem?

Thanks.

:D That's the right idea, the domain needs to be removed from the local delivery rules altogether so MX is looked up and mail handled by the external server instead.

Searching the forums there doesn't seem to be an answer for the Windows version - probably because it's so new, has anybody successfully implemented an external mail server setup for a domain hosted on a Windows Plesk box yet ? :confused:

Back