• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Force same domain emails to use MX records

jenjohn

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04..4
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.63 Update #4
I have setup MX records to use both Google SMTP server [1st priority] and Plesk Mail Server. I have a few email accounts that use Google Workspace and a quite a few other email accounts that use Plesk Mail server. The setup works perfectly - email sent to the user at Google SMTP server is received. Other email accounts are able to use Plesk email server to receive and send emails.

However, biggest caveat is when a Plesk email server user sends to a Google SMTP server user, it does NOT go to Google SMTP server. It is received locally i.e. Plesk does not lookup MX records to recognize that this should be sent to Google SMTP server.

Is there a setting where you can force Plesk to lookup MX records everytime irrespective of sender/receiver being in the same domain?

I tried that but it disabled ALL emails to Plesk email accounts. Please note that I have email accounts in Plesk AND in Google Workspace/Gmail. I cannot disable Plesk email completely, they are live accounts. I will need Plesk to check MX records even if I am sending to the same domain.

Yes, I have a domain that has some mailboxes in Plesk and some in Google. So, cannot really disable emails in Plesk.

This use case is currently not supported by Plesk. When the email service is enabled for a domain in Plesk email is always delivered locally rather than routed externally via MX records.

Back