• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Can't receive email - DNS Error

PeterH

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.58 Update #2
I don't receive any mail in roundcube. Sending email does not cause any problems, but receiving does.

I created the email address [email protected]. If I send an email with this email address to, say, [email protected], [email protected] will receive it in his mail box. I don't receive an email when he answers my email. In fact, I don't receive any emails at all.

A few hours after [email protected] replied to my email, he received an email from Google with the following message:

DNS Error: DNS type 'mx' lookup of example.com responded with code NOERROR DNS type 'aaaa' lookup of mail. responded with code NXDOMAIN DNS type 'a' lookup of mail. responded with code NXDOMAIN

I'm still a beginner when it comes to Linux, Ubuntu and Plesk so it would be great if someone could explain to me what exactly this message means.

Thank you

Good morning, thank you for your response.

I've attached two images so you can see how I set up the MX record and an A record pointing to my server's IP address.

My domain uses the name servers of the domain registrar while my server uses the name servers of my hosting provider. They are two separate parties. Could this be the cause?

MX-1.jpgMX-2.jpg

I think the "example.com" in the first line is wrong, because that will result in "example.com.example.com". Instead, i should either be left blank or a placeholder like "@" is required to represent the domain in itself. Other entries will be seen as a subdomain. Hence the real MX record for the domain cannot be found which leads to the symptoms described above.

I cannot select the "@" and if I leave out example.com it will be there again after saving the changes. So I have now set the MX record as in the image below, but I fear that this will not work. I removed the "A" record as above in the second image.

MX-3.jpg

I have a number of domains with the same provider and they also have the same problem. I have moved the domain names to another provider and hopefully I will not have any more problems once the transfers are complete. I'll keep you informed. So far thank you for your support.

My apologies for the late response, but the problem has been resolved and I can now receive emails. Thank you for your support.

Back