• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forced to give feedback when doing CLI install?!

HostaHost

Regular Pleskian
The latest installer no longer appears to let you choose a custom install while also disabling your servers from sending Plesk who knows what:

ERROR: You specified wrong combination of options.
The options installation-type and disable-feedback cannot be used together.
Refer to installer's help page for details (run Parallels Installer with --help option).

The installation type we're choosing is Custom so that we can pick which components get installed. Why am I not allowed to install what I want without sending feedback? I don't want my servers sending information to Parallels. How do I disable sending feedback after install if that's the only way I can continue using a custom install type?

Tried running the autoinstaller with the various options in /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --help

Did you read my initial post? The installer does not currently allow you to use the installation-type and disable-feedback options together, this means it is now impossible to do a custom install without also allowing your server to send feedback to parallels. I'd like that to be fixed, or I'd like to know how to turn off the feedback after install.

I'm not asking them to implement it, it existed for several years, so they already have the code, they just chose to remove it. I want it put back because some people don't want unspecified information about their servers sent to third parties.

Oh, please, quit seeding the panic. There is hardly conspiracy or malice in this. Let me explain.

--disable-feedback as well as --installation-type option specifies an action to be executed in unattended mode. Reasonably enough only one action can be executed per Installer run. Otherwise you get an appropriate error message (that you can't use both options at the same time).

What you actually want to do is:
1) Run the Installer only with --disable-feedback option. This will disable sending any feedback in the future.
2) Run the Installer with --installation-type option (w/o --disable-feedback) as you would normally.

I'm hardly panicked, but it would be nice to know exactly what information is sent to Parallels when that option is not disabled.

In any case, can you tell me what exactly gets set that disables the feedback if I run it that way? Having to now do it the way you've stated will mean we can no longer do installs unattended since someone will have to interactively run the installer with disable-feedback, break out of it, then re-run the installer with the appropriate options. This used to work just fine, disable feedback and do an install, all unattended.

That's quite unexpected that you can't run 2 commands automatically instead of one.

--disable-feedback just creates a flag file on a filesystem to indicate that errors should not be automatically reported to Parallels (during installation and product usage).

Do you know the name? I can simply add to our automated install script to touch that file first and then run the install without the disable flag.

Thanks!

The autoinstaller error log is always saved in /tmp folder and you are given the name of it during installation or even after the installation.

The autoinstaller error log is always saved in /tmp folder and you are given the name of it during installation or even after the installation.

True.

It should look like /var/parallels/feedback-disabled. But I wouldn't do that. Instead better to call the Installer. Otherwise you risk breaking your unattended installation scripts once again if implementation of --disable-feedback changes.

Back