• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question FPM + Apache / +NGINX

WhiteTiger

Basic Pleskian
I need some clarification about the nginx and apache configuration.

In PHP Setting I can choose between FPM + Apache and FPM + Nginx.
I also read that it is suggested FPM+NGINX because this configuration is more performant.
In the documentation I then read that Nginx is configured as Reverse Server in front of Apache.

So, I configured PHP with FPM+NGINX, but now i see in the System Configuration of Joomla that the Webserver is Nginx and non Apache.

Where can I find more information about all this?
Obviously I am concerned to ensure the best performance, but I would not see me out with the security of the server, now guaranteed by the .htaccess configuration.

Thanks in advance

Hi WhiteTiger,

So, I configured PHP with FPM+NGINX, but now i see in the System Configuration of Joomla that the Webserver is Nginx and non Apache.
Absolutely correct and "good" setting - nothing to be concerned about.

There is no such display possibility, to show the second webserver ( backend ) BEHIND the nginx proxy ( frontend ), that's why you see:
in the System Configuration of Joomla that the Webserver is Nginx and non Apache.
:)

Obviously I am concerned to ensure the best performance, but I would not see me out with the security of the server, now guaranteed by the .htaccess configuration.
Actually, you should be aware, that your unique ".htaccess" - configurations should be translated into nginx rewrites, when you use the combination nginx+apache2. Plesk provides as well the free Plesk Extension "htaccess to nginx" ( pls. read more at for example: => https://ext.plesk.com/packages/b33b9ba7-72c7-43a5-8454-f58236340563-htaccess-to-nginx ), which is a usefull inbuild converter for the Plesk Control Panel, implemented into the site

HOME > Domains > (sub)domain > Apache & nginx Settings (pls. scroll down to the textboxes, to see the implementation after your extension - installation! )

Where can I find more information about all this?
Pls. read for example the Plesk documentation at:

You can do test and see which setting will work best with your website, I have websites that works best with Nginx, and others I've seen that Apache + Nginx works best ...

Regards,

Allan Almeida

There is no such display possibility, to show the second webserver ( backend ) BEHIND the nginx proxy ( frontend )

Actually, you should be aware, that your unique ".htaccess" - configurations should be translated into nginx rewrites, when you use the combination nginx+apache2.
Pls. read for example the Plesk documentation at:

Thanks you for your quick reply.
Yes, I had already read the documentation, but nevertheless I am still a bit confused.
In this I read: "... Apache passes the request through all registered handlers (applies .htaccess directory-level configuration, rewrites a URL, and so on) ..."
So it means that I still have to continue to manage the correct configuration of .htaccess.

What is the problem?
I moved to into a VPS server some CMS that were previously managed in a hosting environment and where htaccess was automatically managed by the tools in Joomla and Wordpress.
I just had to specify what security levels wanted by using the tool's configuration panel.

Furthermore htaccess is generated with different configurations in multiple folders, while (from what I understand) nginx.conf is generated only at the root folder level.

Now I'm trying also the documentation to learn how to handle this new situation and meanwhile understand how to proceed to avoid problems, especially in terms of security.

Thanks again

Back