• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FreeBSD 5.3 and 7.5 Reloaded

K

kkropp

Can anyone tell me exactly what packages/ports need to be installed to get Plesk 7.5 Reloaded installed on a FreeBSD 5.3 box? I am trying to install the demo version so I can test and see if I want to use Plesk on a production server. I have a test server that is completely wiped clean right now.

I want to start with a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.3. Unfortunately, there are no instructions for installing on FreeBSD 5.3 that I can find like there are for RedHat and the others.

If someone could tell me what type of installation to do (which packages to pick on the install) and what ports/packages to install during the initial 5.3 install prior to attempting to install Plesk it would be greatly appreciated.

Right now the Plesk installation script is telling me I don't have Perl installed when I actually do. I have had this error and others. Please help.

Go ahead with a standard FreeBSD 5.3 installation.

Download the installscript (I always use the complete script ( < 200 MB).
Run the installation script, and if everything went OK you are ready to go. ( I believe you use must be root when running install script)

As far as I remember thats about it.
You will most likely have to install some ports to make everything work later on, in example DrWeb's update require wget (ports/ftp/wget).

LHE

Should I tell it to just install all binaries when I pick the package set on installation? I usually do a FreeBSD ftp installation and tell the installer to install all binaries, kernel source, and no X-Windows. Will this work?

Also, what size of /var partition do you recommend from your experience? I have a 54GB array to work with.

That should do,

I usually use the same install options as you (developer without X I think) - binaries, sys.source, no X.
I always include the ports tree as well.

The /var partition is where the system logs goes and I always make this partition "roomy" in example 4 GB - I do not want my box to die because a log file was not rotated..

I also make the /tmp partition rather big because many applications use the /tmp partition.

This is how my 54 GB array at the "development box" looks like,
/dev/amrd0s1a 989M 55M 855M 6% /
devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
/dev/amrd0s1d 3.9G 232K 3.6G 0% /tmp
/dev/amrd0s1f 54G 26G 24G 52% /usr
/dev/amrd0s1e 3.9G 25M 3.5G 1% /var
devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /usr/local/psa/named/run-root/dev
linprocfs 4.0K 4.0K 0B 100% /usr/compat/linux/proc

as you can see, /tmp and /var does not have to be big..

LHE

Thanks for the info! I will give it a try with a fresh install later this evening.

I did on blank

I have a bit experience on installing 7.5.2 on the FreeBSD-5.3 box. I use to choose "Minimal" distribution, and noticed that Plesk requires only the perl-5.8.5 to be installed before.
And, anybody did install Plesk into the jail(4) environment? tried several times with small success...

Some one instaled Zope/Plone to some client. ?? and can help with general guide line ???

Running under BSD :)

perl/freebsd problem

Same problem as a previous poster. I have the 'wrong perl version'.
I installed perl using the freebsd command (I know very little about unix but I managed that) but that didn't solve the problem.
How do I install the *correct* perl version?

David Kinston
melbourne.au

Back