• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FreeBSD.. Cant we get some luvin?

T

thinkbsd

Okay. I've been running plesk on freebsd 4.10 for awhile now. Anticipating the release of Sitebuilder and Plesk7.5 I'm kinda upset that freebsd users have to wait months after a new release so we can get in on the new action. People mention waiting is good because it lets them workout all the bugs but even after waiting, on any initial installation I still end up tweaking a lot of things to get it working properly.

I guess the only solution is converting over to cpanel. :(

As a whole from what i can see
Plesk and freebsd work together really well, better than any of the other distributions imo.

Seem to be less buggy, and installations seem to go without a hitch with a few exceptions.

It is my guess that they spend a considerable amount of time on the freebsd distributions and generally get it right the first time.

Also, by the time they have released the freebsd dist, they have fixed the known bugs which occur in the other releases.

Why downgrade your system, cpanel is the dogs balls.

We run plesk since PSA 5 :) and every time running on Fbsd, normaly the delay is good... like etan said generaly the BSD's versions are less buggy :)

I agree - I've used Plesk on FreeBSD for a little under a year now, and we seem to have less problems than people running it on Linux.

The delay sucks - but we get a better product because of it!

...that said.. I'll still let you all upgrade first =]

--Matthew Runo

i wont upgrade until sometime next year, no point, everything seems to be working fine at the moment.

I disagree.

It is my guess that they spend a considerable amount of time on the freebsd distributions and generally get it right the first time.

Just off the top of my head (I haven't upgraded to 7.5, but these issues existed all the way through version 7.1 that I am currently running):

- Plesk installed perl modules in the wrong location sometimes.
- Plesk didn't try to install needed perl modules for BU to work properly
- Plesk didn't install MANY perl modules that would have made SpamAssassin more effective.
- Backup tools just didn't work "out of the box", and needed a lot of tweaking to work properly.
- The "Dr Web" Antivirus solution is horrible, and destroyed a LOT of my mail (I didn't notice it right away, because it was only mail with attachments that was being destroyed) before I disabled it and bought a 3rd party product that worked like a charm. Unfortunately, there's apparently STILL no official way to permanently disable Dr Web, so if I'm not careful and perform an upgrade, or reboot the machine, it re-enables Dr Web again. Nice.

Also, by the time they have released the freebsd dist, they have fixed the known bugs which occur in the other releases.

- Plesk still referred to FreeBSD as "Linux 4.9" in the updater.
- The updater just doesn't work
- Plesk is usually anywhere from 6 months to a year or more behind the current version of FreeBSD.

I'm not going to spend more time thinking of other things that were broken when I installed Plesk on FreeBSD, because it's not productive. I agree that Plesk is better than CPanel in many ways, even on FreeBSD - but I don't agree that they put the expected amount of testing into a product that we pay hundreds of dollars to buy. I'm not trying to be overly harsh here, but I disagree with the statement that Plesk on FreeBSD is a well-tested product.

I have a data center that sells a reasonable amount of servers with plesk on it trying to find out why plesk wont support FreeBSD 4.10 but has no problems running on freebsd 4.9.

IE auto updates broken. Also many things out of date without updates or patches. Cpanel at least releases patches and stays up to date.

I'm currently thinking Cpanel might actually be better. I have one of each and the plesk bot as a nicer gui, but staying up to date is nice too !!

yep all us freebsd users should all go out and buy 10 copies each, even tho we only need 1.

:eek:

Originally posted by atomicturtle
Best way to get better support for a platform is to buy more copies :p
Oh yea thats real smart. Lets all go out and buy 5 copies of this thing so we can have more defunctional ****.

hahahaha

NO SOUP for YOU

heh check this out

----------------------------------------------------------------
cp uname to uname-bk
Make this script:

#!/bin/sh

echo FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE
chmod 755 uname

then run the autoupdater in the control panel

Hrmmmmmmm

Doesnt look like the sofware has been maintained.
apache 1.3.31 is NOT current

And application vault is so out of date.

Yet the autoupdater script tells me I have the latest release from plesk .... WOW!!!!!!!!

No wonder they didnt want it to work in FreeBSD, the software is backwoods outdated! I think they've been counting on Mr. Shins YUM updates on the linux distributions to keep people happy.

Get with it plesk.

what are you talking about ?????

also

what you have just done does not work

mite wanna touch up on documentation skilz :D

So now can someone tell me what happened with the Plesk 7.5 release for FreeBSD. We've waited so long, it's already 2 months late.
To do admins: Please tell us the release date or how long is going to take for Plesk 7.5 Reloaded to be released for FreeBSD.

Better have to wait 2 months more and have a stable BSD release than facing the many problems the 7.5 release has had...

I don't want to gamble with my customers just go get an early release of new software.

"Better safe - than sorry" :)

I just contacted SWsoft Plesk support team recently and they said Plesk 7.5 for FreeBSD was coming out if not today, then tomorrow!
So, I assume sometime THIS WEEK we will have 7.5 for 4.9 and 5.3...

I'll cross my fingers...
:)

Big D

LMFAO for 4.9 ?
When the **** is the lameness going to end...... 4.10 was out after 4.9 and 4.11 is current 4.x branch and I really hope people wont break plesk by upgrading freebsd to keep up with security!

And why not produce some updates for plesk like apache1.3.3 updated aplication vault packages, and the likes. I think its kinda funny how they seem to only care about releasing new packages instead of maintaining thier products with more hotfixes. That PHP hotfix only came out months after the exploits were well known. Most people with experience with plesk know that if you try to update anything controled by plesk you "might" break plesk. Thats why some would rather use the plesk hotfixes, but hey a new release I guess is ok for those that havent gotten their boxes rooted "yet"

I like plesk but gees some UPDATES would be NICE !
Screw the new releases ... Maintain whats already out.

Back