• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Please Help with your recommendations

JPD123

New Pleskian
Please Help with your recommendations

I currently have dedicated server with http://www.servint.net and they are tell me they are dropping support for Plesk at the end of this month April 2014 and want me to transfer my sever to cPanel. I love the Plesk interface but with no more support I have one of two choices find another dedicated server offering full support for Plesk control panel or go with the cPanel. Can anyone recommend a dedicated server similar to my current setup or better preferably on the West coast of the USA:

CPU Genuine Intel, Intel(R) Xeon(R)CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz
Version Parallels Plesk Panel v10.4.4_build1013120126.11 os_CentOS 5
OS Linux 2.6.32-042stab078.28
Key number PLSK.01474404.0025

Here's the messages I've received from Servint.net Virtual Hosting. Is there any truth to what they are saying to me?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
JP
=========================================

Subject
cPanel Recommendation

Description of Service/Issue
Hi,

As we discussed over the phone, I've created this ticket so that you can consider migrating from Plesk to cPanel. I'm aware that your server has been experiencing frequent stability issues and they are very closely related to the diminished reliability of the Plesk system.

As mentioned in the emails that we've sent to you regarding Plesk last year, we will be dropping support for Plesk servers at the end of April due to issues with Plesk's reliability, inconsistent developments between versions that makes it difficult to troubleshoot, and its inherent vulnerabilities.

To help you get acclimated with cPanel, here are some resources that you can watch/read:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_PJ036nHjw
http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs/
https://support.hostgator.com/artic...s-plesk-side-by-side-functionality-comparison

Next, our Admin department will be writing to you in this ticket to explain the security vulnerabilities that are inherent in Plesk and Plesk developers' lacking support that makes it difficult to provide prompt service to our clients.

We absolutely value your business and it is in both of our interests to see that your server is stable and reliable. But in order to do this, it is ideal to have you on a platform which has a proven record of reliability, ease of use, and strong developer support. So once again, I urge you to consider moving to cPanel. While it can be a complex move, we will work with you every step of the way to get there.

Best,

Xiaoxi W.
ServInt MST

and this:

#1 Tanya R - ServInt Thu Mar 20 2014 02:42PM
Was this helpful?
Hello,

As you may know, Plesk has suffered from three separate privilege escalation vulnerabilities in the last 18 months, all of which have been patched across the network. But it's quite probable that your Plesk installation was victimized prior to the Parallels releasing those security updates. As a result, Plesk may be irreparable at this point and an upgrade to Plesk 11 isn't likely to undo the damage.

It's been a very trying time for Plesk users for the past year or two. We've been encouraging clients with Plesk servers, with similar issues to yours, to consider a move to cPanel. In our experience with both Plesk and cPanel for the last decade or more, cPanel is simply better... it's more reliable (from a stability standpoint), more dependable (with regard to software updates), more intuitive (the GUI never is or needs to be overhauled), more secure (cPanel has never suffered from vulnerabilities like Plesk), easier to manage and troubleshoot on the back end (the layout is logical, doesn't vary wildly from version to version, and logging is much more comprehensive), and cPanel comes with FAR better support for ServInt, which trickles down to better support for you (quite frankly, Plesk's support is laughable). Your experience with Plesk may be different of course.

We've done over 200 of these migrations in past months. With the direct support and tasking from cPanel technicians, the results have been excellent in terms of the lack of downtime, very little need for post-migration configurations, no lost data, etc. Cpanel technicians are top-notch and their success rate is impressively high. The results of the migrations we've performed from Plesk to cPanel have been refreshingly positive.

I'm on your server now and I just don't see anything obvious with regard to suspicious activity, etc. I personally (and professionally, to be frank) don't trust Plesk anymore. That doesn't mean that I've given up and won't do my best to fix problems with Plesk. It just means that I expect there to always be issues that are all-too-often incredibly difficult to troubleshoot and explain (for a variety of reasons). I don't "trust" that the software will get better. It hasn't in 10 years, the amount of time we've been offering both control panels.

The migration process is fairly simple. We will build and configure a new cPanel VPS while your Plesk VPS is remain up and running, unaffected. Your Plesk VPS will active during the build and during the majority of the data migration. With the help of cPanel, our support technicians will do the heavy lifting.

The MST will create cPanel accounts and migrate your data. When everything is ready, your Plesk VPS will come offline for a short period to perform the final data migration (which is essentially any data that was new or modified between the time the first data migration was completed and the new cPanel VPS was finalized). When that's done and your new VPS is ready, you'll simply visit your registrar and change the authoritative nameservers for your domains from the old Plesk nameservers to the new cPanel nameservers, effectively redirecting traffic to those websites from the old VPS to the new VPS.

After a couple days, we'll decommission the old Plesk VPS entirely... and you're done.

Of course, as with any server move, there may be a few hiccups and things to tweak after the fact, things that nobody can really predict. But honestly, those issues have been minor at best and very few and far between.

Let me know if this interests you.

#2 Admin Department Wed Mar 26 2014 11:47AM
Was this helpful?
I strongly encourage you to consider this option as soon as possible. Our support for Plesk goes EOL next month.

Mike Witty
Director of Network Compliance

CPU Genuine Intel, Intel(R) Xeon(R)CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz
Version Parallels Plesk Panel v10.4.4_build1013120126.11 os_CentOS 5
OS Linux 2.6.32-042stab078.28
Key number PLSK.01474404.0025

You have't given the RAM / CORE specs but I hope this can do ..

HP DL320e Gen8
Intel Xeon E3-1230v2, Quad-Core
16 GB DDR3 RAM ECC
2x 2,000 GB SATA II HDD, 7,200 rpm
Software-RAID 1
Backup Storage 100 GB

http://www.jolis.net/hosting.php?spt=1&pt=ds

Hi JPD123,

First, thank you for being a Plesk customer and connecting with us! We are sorry that you received these messages from ServInt. It is unfortunate that they have taken this tone and approach with their Plesk customers. You asked for a recommendation and Media Temple comes to mind as one of our top partners.

I would like set the record straight. The mentioned vulnerability only impacted versions of Plesk prior to Plesk 11. We responded immediately upon learning of the issue and released a series of patches for every older supported and unsupported version. In addition, the Parallels Service team worked closely with all our partners to clean infected servers and provided tools for repairs and have seen no major security issues since then.

In fact our newest Plesk 12 version, launching in June, has “site-to-server” hardening built in using fail2ban and mod_security rules from Atomicorp.

While every product has the risk of security issues (just watch security advisories), they differ in how they handle it. You can explore this huge thread at webhostingtalk.com (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1267400) – 10 pages about a root exploit in cPanel started in May 2013 and still ongoing.

Since you are a satisfied customer, I don’t think we need to address Servint’s commentary on usability and manageability. If you or anyone on this forum do have any concerns or feedback we would be happy to discuss. My goal with each version of Plesk is to take what we hear from customers and continue to improve the product.

Sincerely yours

Thanks for the recommendation to Media Temple....if you have a couple more I like having at least 3 options to choose from.

Warm Regards
JP

Hi JPD123,

First, thank you for being a Plesk customer and connecting with us! We are sorry that you received these messages from ServInt. It is unfortunate that they have taken this tone and approach with their Plesk customers. You asked for a recommendation and Media Temple comes to mind as one of our top partners.

I would like set the record straight. The mentioned vulnerability only impacted versions of Plesk prior to Plesk 11. We responded immediately upon learning of the issue and released a series of patches for every older supported and unsupported version. In addition, the Parallels Service team worked closely with all our partners to clean infected servers and provided tools for repairs and have seen no major security issues since then.

In fact our newest Plesk 12 version, launching in June, has site-to-server hardening built in using fail2ban and mod_security rules from Atomicorp.

While every product has the risk of security issues (just watch security advisories), they differ in how they handle it. You can explore this huge thread at webhostingtalk.com (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1267400) 10 pages about a root exploit in cPanel started in May 2013 and still ongoing.

Since you are a satisfied customer, I dont think we need to address Servints commentary on usability and manageability. If you or anyone on this forum do have any concerns or feedback we would be happy to discuss. My goal with each version of Plesk is to take what we hear from customers and continue to improve the product.

Sincerely yours

Thanks for the server recommendation with Media Temple I'm reviewing them now......Can you provide a few more recommendations I like to be able to choose from at least 3 service providers. Thanks

JP

Hello,

Could you please offer any additional suggestions for VPS providers that fully support Plesk? I'd prefer an East Coast datacenter, but I'm getting desperate, so I'm willing to be flexible on the location.

I am having a difficult time trying to find something comparable to my managed Flex TwoCore VPS with ServInt (http://www.servint.net/vps.php). We need a fully managed environment with backups included.

I also liked that, even though I am comfortable using a web based ticket system, ServInt offered 24/7 telephone support in case I had an urgent question or issue. So far, it looks like ServInt is the only VPS provider that offers that option. I wish I could find a similar provider that fully supports Plesk.

Any additional help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Bob

I contacted MediaTemple. They are more expensive by orders of magnitude. For less disk space and transfer than I'm getting now with ServInt for $169/mo, MediaTemple wants $1,049/mo. We can't afford that.

Am not sure why you want a VPS yet for the same price you can have a dedicated ....
IE, for $50/Mn I could get you a dedicated server (Either in US or Europe) with specs:

AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core
4 GB DDR2 RAM
2x 320 GB SATA II HDD
OS: Cent OS, Debian, Scientific Linux, Ubuntu, Windows Webserver 2008 (+ $15/mon.)
Plesk 10.x/11.x – Unlimited Domains
Unlimited traffic

Am not sure why you want a VPS yet for the same price you can have a dedicated ....
IE, for $50/Mn I could get you a dedicated server (Either in US or Europe) with specs:

AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core
4 GB DDR2 RAM
2x 320 GB SATA II HDD
OS: Cent OS, Debian, Scientific Linux, Ubuntu, Windows Webserver 2008 (+ $15/mon.)
Plesk 10.x/11.x – Unlimited Domains
Unlimited traffic

We liked the VPS because it can be easily upgraded or downgraded without any effort. No need to do a full migration from one server to another. We also need a fully managed environment with backups included. I would consider a dedicated server if it meets our other needs. We're still looking for something that meets our needs. If any new suggestions are available they will be appreciated.

I think cPanel is much more easier to navigate than Plesk. Try and check Hostgator services, I think they have ongoing promotions.

Back