• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Fresh Install CentOS 8

themew

Regular Pleskian
Working on setting up a new server (old server has been using CentOS 7 with Plesk Onyx for years) but can't complete the install using either ssh or web install. The install shows 2 file not found errors and hangs at an selinux line.

I've disabled selinux before install, also tried the install before updating CentOS to the current 8.1 version. Either way, it stalls on install.

No issues doing the same install on a current and fresh CentOS 7.

Wondering if anyone else has had issues installing Obsidian on a fresh CentOS 8 machine and if so, how you overcame any install issues.

As per I know, CentOS 8 is not yet supported.

You are wrong. CentoOS 8 is officially supported since 17th March.

We installed quite a few licenses on CentoOS 8 which was initially updated to latest version (8.1) before we installed Obsidian. It works. I am not sure what's the issue with OP.

You are wrong. CentoOS 8 is officially supported since 17th March.

We installed quite a few licenses on CentoOS 8 which was initially updated to latest version (8.1) before we installed Obsidian. It works. I am not sure what's the issue with OP.

What method did you use to install Plesk and did you enable/disable SELINUX or anything else prior to installation?

What method did you use to install Plesk and did you enable/disable SELINUX or anything else prior to installation?
Apart from updating CentOS to latest build literally nothing else (literally). We installed Obsidian from command line whie we were connected to our server via SSH.

Btw. have you tried to set SELINUX to permissive prior installation? You can revert back to enforcing after Obsidian is installed

Apart from updating CentOS to latest build literally nothing else (literally). We installed Obsidian from command line whie we were connected to our server via SSH.
Hmm.. We did the same here... The first several times it hung on the SELINUX line so we disabled SELINUX and tried again. Since then, we were able to get past the SELINUX line and it hangs about 10 lines later (can't recall the error) however we see various 'File Not Found' errors during the install.

No issues installing Obsidian in C7, but still can't complete a C8 install. 4 core VM, 4GB RAM, 100G SSD. Weird -- never experienced an issue with Plesk like this before...

Btw. have you tried to set SELINUX to permissive prior installation? You can revert back to enforcing after Obsidian is installed

Nope, set it to 'Disabled' but haven't tried permissive mode yet :)

Last edited:
I did a test installation with SELINUX enabled and did not reproduce the issue:
Code:
[root@cen8p18 ~]# plesk -v
Product version: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.26.0
     OS version: CentOS 8.1.1911 x86_64
     Build date: 2020/04/10 18:00
       Revision: f01f47b9bea31b4186ff330d137e1aea57bb084a
[root@cen8p18 ~]# getenforce
Enforcing

Hi themew,

Have you used the official CentOS repositories (instead of non-updated mirrors)?
It would be helpful if you provide more detail about the exact error or "steps-to-reproduce" the error.

Just tried it again tonight with a fresh install of CentOS 8, updated to current version and installed using Plesk repos.

Command to start install: {CODE{ sh <(curl https://autoinstall.plesk.com/one-click-installer || wget -O - https://autoinstall.plesk.com/one-click-installer)[/CODE]

Always hangs on this:
Code:
rpm scriptlet: /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.AGJEla: line 1848: chsh: command not found
Installing: plesk-mail-pc-driver-18.0-2.centos.8+p18.0.25.0+t200313.1242.x86_64 [247/306]...
rpm scriptlet: /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.AGJEla: line 1848: chsh: command not found
Installing: plesk-mail-pc-driver-18.0-2.centos.8+p18.0.25.0+t200313.1242.x86_64 [247/306] Done
Running scriptlet: plesk-mail-pc-driver-18.0-2.centos.8+p18.0.25.0+t200313.1242.x86_64 [247/306] Done
client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe
and never finishes the install.

No issues installing on CentOS 7. The above occurs with and without updating CentOS 8 to current. Also changed DNS resolvers on the server to ensure a fast connection.

Server is a 4 core, 4 GB ram with a 100G SSD. Just can't complete install using ssh.

Also tried the above with the web installer -- same issue, it hangs and sits stuck until the clock goes to 0:00.

Looks like it could be a bug with "Plesk Obsidian on CentOS8" in some situations but I couldn't reproduce it in CentOS 8.1 droplet from DigitalOcean.
Anyway, I have created a bug-report (PPP-48847).

My colleague has suggested installing "util-linux-user" package (it contains "chsh") and check again.

@AYamshanov , your colleague was absolutely correct. Before installing Plesk Obsidian on a CentOS 8.1 server, installing "util-linux-user" completely solved the install issue.

Plesk Obsidian v18.0.26 completed and installed without any issues. However, it appears that CentOS 8.1 disconnects ssh while Plesk installs during long pauses in the installation process. The solution was:
Code:
nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config and add to the file:
TCPKeepAlive yes
ClientAliveInterval 60
ClientAliveCountMax 40000
Then on your local machine, go to the .ssh directory, create a file called 'config' and in that file enter:
Code:
ServerAliveInterval 60
ServerAliveCountMax = 120

I'll mark the thread solved @AYamshanov . Thank you and your colleague for your help. We're looking forward to moving our current Plesk sites over to a new server with Obsidian.

Hi,
I have tried to install on centos 8, but installation completed with some errors.
When I tried to access the panel, I had the error from the attachment.

Attachments

• 2020-05-19.jpg
    2020-05-19.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 17
Another consideration might be to use the Linux screen command to account for unforeseen drops in Internet connectivity.

Hi bulent,
I have tried to install on centos 8, but installation completed with some errors.

Which proxmox mode did you use? KVM (VM)?
I think it could be a different issue with installation. Could you please try to install Plesk with a command line and post the exact error of the installation process?

Last edited:
Hi bulent,
Which proxmox mode did you use? KVM (VM)?
I think it could be a different issue with installation. Could you please try to install Plesk with a command line and post the exact error of the installation process?
Hi,
I have tried to install it on proxmox LXC container. I have such install with centos 7 and current version of plesk.
There are different errors in the installation procces, is there any method to send you install log?

I couldn't quickly find any information that proxmox/CT mode is supported and Plesk working is guaranteed in that environment.
Have you tried to install Plesk in KVM mode? You can post error messages right here (it helps better) or attach a log to the thread. I am not an expert in proxmox but maybe someone from the community could help.

Back