• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue FTP Backup error

tizgal

New Pleskian
Hi,

my Plesk installation makes a daily backup to an FTP server, but every backup ends with an error or warning.
The most common one is the following:

WARNING: () Unable to find base backup for creation of incremental one, the full backup will be created. Error: Failed to exec pmm-ras: Exit code: 119: Import error: Unable to find archive metadata. The archive is not valid Plesk backup or has been created in an unsupported Plesk version

I have tried everything, even with the support from my hosting provider (Hetzner), downgraded to TSL 1.2, but nothing always errors or warnings.

I can live with a daily warning, as long as I can trust the backup in case of an emergency.

@tizgal

This

I can live with a daily warning, as long as I can trust the backup in case of an emergency.

is not the case - the backup is not to be trusted : any restore of backup files is very likely (but not certain) to cause issues.

In essence, given the fact that you have updated Plesk Migrator, it should be possible to make a manual backup that can be trusted.

In almost every case, the before mentioned update should not cause any error messages (anymore) concerning issues with backups - if these error messages still continue to occur, it can be (often) sufficient to stop scheduled backup tasks for one or two days (and reactivate the scheduled backup afterwards).

I hope the above helps a bit.

Kind regards .....

PS If you are succesful in creating a manual backup without error messages, I would highly recommend to remove the old problematic backups - they are using disk space and/or they can cause problems. Since you do have a correct (manual) backup, there is no need to keep to problematic backups : just remove them.

trialotto, your tip worked. I have deleted all the existing backups, saved the backup setting, and schedule once again, and for 3 days no errors.

To resume, I have downgraded to TSL 1.2, saved the backup settings and schedule again, deleted all previous backups, rebooted the server.

Spoken too soon.
After 3 days of backup (two full and one incremental), tonight there was a Plesk update and then the following backup error:

Unable to validate the remote backup. It may not be restored. Error: Unable to extract dump header

May it be related to updates?

I have tried again to delete all backups and for two days worked just fine.
This morning I got the following error by email:

The following error occurred during the scheduled backup process:
Import error: Unable to find archive metadata. The archive is not valid Plesk backup or has been created in an unsupported Plesk version

No backup was created.

Unbelievable that I cannot backup my server, Plesk backup is so unreliable, it is months that I am fighting this problem, I have lost hope.

Just tried backup manually and the backup was created but got a different error:

Unable to validate the remote backup. It may not be restored. Error: Failed to exec pmm-ras: Exit code: 119: Import error: Unable to find archive metadata. The archive is not valid Plesk backup or has been created in an unsupported Plesk version

I hope someone can help me solve this problem.

Just tried backup manually and the backup was created but got a different error:

Unable to validate the remote backup. It may not be restored. Error: Failed to exec pmm-ras: Exit code: 119: Import error: Unable to find archive metadata. The archive is not valid Plesk backup or has been created in an unsupported Plesk version

I hope someone can help me solve this problem.
same here after manual update

I have the same issue.
Code:

The issue is finally fixed for me, after updating to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.28 Update 2 (Change Log for Plesk Obsidian).
I have no settings in my panel.ini related to backups or FTP connections and I removed any .ftpaccess files from my Hetzner Storage Box (FTP Server).
Prior settings in the .ftpaccess file:
AllowRetrieveRestart on
AllowStoreRestart on
Passive mode and FTPS are enabled in the Backup Manager settings.

Back