• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question ftp logs

Thank you IgorG.

I had a look on the server but don't see logs specific for FTP.

Let me explain my problem.
- I have created FTP access account in Plesk (Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 Update #18) but I just can't seem to connect with FTP.
- I am using the username as created in Plesk with ftp.mydomain.com as hostname. I am sure I have used this same way to authenticate on one of my previous VPS's but just can't seem to get this one working.
- Confirmed that my DNS records are pointing to my VPS.

You have any idea what I might be missing?

Try to connect through CLI with debugging like

# ftp -d yourserver.com

and you will see errors in the output. It will give you direction for the further fixing the issue.

Ok I have another question. If I have a domain on my server and my DNS zone for FTP A record for this specific domain is set to the server IP, should it work if I just ftp to ftp.mydomain.com? I don't want the client to FTP directly to the server. I only want him to see the files for his domain.

Yes, it will work. But usually, there is CNAME DNS record for ftp.domain.com instead of A record. It works like:

# ftp ftp.domain.com
Connected to domain.com.
220 ProFTPD 1.3.5b Server (ProFTPD) [xxx.xxx.xxx.153]
Name (ftp.domain.com:root): admin_ftp_12
331 Password required for admin_ftp_12
Password:
230 User admin_ftp_12 logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file list
drwxr-x--- 11 admin_ftp_12 psaserv 4096 Mar 12 10:41 httpdocs
drwx------ 3 admin_ftp_12 root 4096 Mar 17 08:02 logs
drwxr-x--- 13 admin_ftp_12 psaserv 4096 Mar 7 14:34 xf2.domain.com
226 Transfer complete
ftp>

Ah ok. So other than the A record that points to the server I need to add an additional CNAME record that points to ftp.mydomain.com? Here is my current dns config, black crossed out ones is my domain.
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 14.48.26.png

Ok and must its value be only the domain name (mydomain.com) or ftp.mydomain.com? For instance:
FTP TTL(14400) CNAME FTP.MYDOMAIN.COM

Back