• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question full hostname in plesk

yiannis yiannis

New Pleskian
Hello plesk forum!

Trying to read on the forum and understand what I should do with the full hostname in plesk, makes me even more confused.
We recently rent a dedicated server and successfully complete the subscription migration from our old sharing hosting. Now I see that the full hostname in server settings, is set to localhost.localdomain.

I carefully read the below post but I'm bit afraid of messing things up.
https://talk.plesk.com/threads/full-hostname-under-server-system-settings.302662/

Could you please let me know what's the right process for getting a proper hostname both for plesk and server itself? Additional info on the screenshots.

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
The Hostname of the server and the host name of the plesk are same. The host name that you set to the server will be picked up by Plesk or you can use it for Plesk.
The hostname should be a fully qualified domain name (( FQDN ) . So if you have a domain registered as abc.com you can assign the hostname to the server as server.abc.com or box.abc.com

It's just the name of your server. You only have to set it in Plesk.

For example:

server1.mydomain.com

So 'server1' is the specific name of your server. If one day you'll have a second server, you can call it server2.mydomain.com

Thanks for your replies.

By assigning the server hostname on plesk, it changed automatically the /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts files.

I had to do it manually on /etc/sysconfig/network by adding HOSTNAME=myserver.domain.com, restarting also the network.

I had to add it also manually on /etc/postfix/main.cf by changing myhostname=myserver.domain.com. This might be necessary since some mail servers may reject emails if they sent using initial localhost.localdomain.

Back