• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

"Full hostname" under Server->System settings

DanijelD

Basic Pleskian
What should I enter in "Server->System Settings->Full hostname"?

Plesk seems to copy this to some settings files, for example to /var/qmail/control/locals and /var/qmail/control/me files. This gave me problems with email.

Can I just call my server "Anything" in "Server->System Settings->Full hostname"?
Or it must be FQDN?

Please help.

Hi DanijelD,
in the filed "Full hostname" you should insert the name of the server like this:

vps.example.com

Be carefull because this update can block some services, if you provides zero-stop-services, before you change the hostname, make a full backup or snapshot.

This name must be unique and FQDN, if PSA don't do it automaticaly, you must update the linux file: /etc/hostname with the same full hostname and the /etc/hosts file.

Read this KB: http://kb.parallels.com/en/1793

After you should check on your domain registar the example.com DNS settings and eventually add an CNAME or A RECORD:

vps 900 IN A X.X.X.X

NOTE: X.X.X.X is your server IP.

Email server tips:

Use an SPF Record to validate e-mail sent from your server check this: https://yoast.com/email-reliability/

Bye

Last edited:
Hi,
just an acronym that I use: Virtual Plesk Server

You can use what do you prefer, like: plesk.example.com, vm.example.com, etc....

Bye

OK, thanks.

I used to use just "example.com". It worked OK, but then I did a plesk update and it messed up my mail server. Then I renamed this to "server1.example.com" (since I was told that "example.com" must not be listed in the "/var/qmail/control/locals") and it fixed the problem with email.

Since then it worked OK.

Now I was checking my DNS settings, and got a warning that "The hostname in the SMTP greeting does not match the reverse DNS (PTR) record". The I learned that my /var/qmail/control/me file has this entry: "server1.example.com". I manually changed this to "mydomain.com" and now the warning is gone. Can I change "me" file manualy? Will it be overwritten by Plesk again? Was this the right way to fix the reverse DNS warning? What should be the content of "me" file?

Hi, to fix the warning:

"The hostname in the SMTP greeting does not match the reverse DNS (PTR) record" you should request, at the server provider, to setting up the correct reverse DNS (PTR), usually you can't do it directly, it's not a big deal to resolve.

For my experience it's better use "server1.example.com" than "example.com", you can resolve all the names of domain and subdomains with correct DNS setting up.

In the mail server configuration the hostname must be exactly the name you choose and save in "Full hostname", remember the hostname on all server services must be the SAME and it will works correctly.

I'm not an expert with Qmail sorry, I usually use Postfix it works better, I guess.

I hope this will help you.

Bye

Back