• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Fully Qualified Domain Name - FQDN and Reverse DNS

bluchip

New Pleskian
Hello,

I am having a problem where one of the domains I have on my server cannot send emails to certain addresses. These are @gmx.de, @web.de and aol.com. These providers give the following reason for the emails not being delivered

Emails from your email server were rejected because the PTR Resource Record (PTR-RR) of your IP address does not follow our guidelines. Possible reasons for this can be:

• The PTR-RR states that the IP address was dynamically allocated.
  • The PTR-RR is a generic standard entry of your provider. Please allocate an independent and fully qualified domain name (Fully Qualified Domain Name - FQDN) to your email server and enter the corresponding valid PTR-RR.
  • Individual rejection of the PTR-RR for system protection reasons. Please contact the administrator of your system who should then contact us.

From the extensive research and reading I have done in this forum and the Google I kind of understand what is causing the problem but I can figure out how to setup it up correctly. My biggest problem actually is that there are 10-12 active email accounts for the problematic domain and I am afraid that if I don't setup everything correctly I might cause a bigger problem.

At the moment I have 2 domains on the same server and Ideally I want to setup up both correctly. From what I understand that might not be possible.

What do I need to do in order to have this fixed? Can I configure correctly the server for multiple domains?

Any help or pointers to the right direction or any articles that could help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Back