• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved IONOS NOT ACCEPTING INCOMING MAIL FROM PLESK - 554 BAD DNS PTR RESOURCE RECORD

falconsi

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Linux container in Proxmox in a Dedicated Root Server in Hetzner - OPNSense Router)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.52_build1800230516.12 os_Ubuntu 22.04
Hello all!

I purchased a Plesk license after making a few tests in trial. I configured a domain in Ionos, changed nameservers to point to Plesk and everything is working perfectly (DNS prop is 100%).
My problem is, when I send emails (from [email protected]) to Ionos customers, they get bounced with following error:

<[email protected]>: host mx00.ionos.es[212.227.15.41] refused to talk

to me: 554-kundenserver.de (mxeue010) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available

554-No SMTP service 554-Bad DNS PTR resource record. 554 For explanation

visit SMTP Error Messages of the IONOS Mail Servers - IONOS Help

At the moment, I checked sending to Gmail, Yahoo, Microsoft (@msn.com, @outlook.com, @live.es) and they work perfectly, problem is only with Ionos.

I visited SMTP Error Messages of the IONOS Mail Servers - IONOS Help to see how to solve it, and it says:

554 Bad DNS PTR resource record​

Problem:

Email from your email server has been rejected because the PTR resource record (PTR-RR) of your IP address does not comply with IONOS policy.

Solution:

Switch from a dynamically assigned IP address to a fixed IP address.

Verify that the PTR-RR is the default generic entry of your provider. Assign your email server its own full domain name (FQDN).

So, I've already have a fixed IP address. My server is in a dedicated root server in Hetzner, virtualized in a Linux Container in Proxmox. I made this in Robot:

(Yes/No is for traffic alerts)

Waited for changes to propagate (in dnschecker.org), but still getting same error from Ionos.

Tried to add a PTR record in Plesk like this:

1686011298996.png

But I get this error:

1686011343339.png

Also tried with /32, got the same error.

Also changed spf to this (as seen on another post):

1686011425178.png

But doesn't work either.

This is all I could try with my (limited) knowledge, would you help me sorting this out?

Thanks in advance.

What does the Yes/No radio button do? Could it be possible that Reverse DNS has been configured, but has not been turned on at your data center?

Attachments

• 2023-06-06_08-28-26.jpg
    2023-06-06_08-28-26.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 16
# host 88.198.98.121
121.98.198.88.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pejeverdeftv.es.

PTR seems fine currently.

Is mail going out to ANYONE at all?

What does the Yes/No radio button do? Could it be possible that Reverse DNS has been configured, but has not been turned on at your data center?
It's in the alt text, hehe. Yes/No enables/disables traffic alerts. So no, not needed for reverse DNS

# host 88.198.98.121
121.98.198.88.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pejeverdeftv.es.

PTR seems fine currently.

Is mail going out to ANYONE at all?
At the moment, I checked sending to Gmail, Yahoo, Microsoft (@msn.com, @outlook.com, @live.es) and they work perfectly, problem is only with Ionos.

As said in the OP, yes, It was going out everywhere I tested but Ionos.
Anyway, right now it works perfectly. Maybe the problem was the PTR not fully propagated.

Thanks everyone. Have a good one.

Back