• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Give me some light about DNS

M

mixey

So.... hello everyone!
I just installed Plesk 7.5.2 Reloaded to my local server. 2 Computers are connected together. one with WinXP second one RedHat 9.0+Plesk.( host is host.com)
On Client PC I choose to use 192.168.0.10 as a Primary DNS server.
after when i'm trying to ping from client PC ping host.com i get:
Code:
Ping request could not find host host.lv. Please check the name and try again.
And ofcourse when i point my browser to http://host.com or https://host.com:8443 i got an error 404, but http://192.168.0.10 work fine!
Finally my question, does Plesk base install have its own DNS server?
Is I'm correct thinkig that when I add new domain in Plesk panel and choose host plan for it...the only thing left to make these domain working properly is to choose the ns.myserver.com in DNS-Domain Panel(such as Yahoo for example)?
Thanks!

Yes, Plesk has DNS. Your problem is due to running the Plesk box behind a router and using 192.168.x.x instead of the WAN IP address.
Use Forum search, others have had this problem and solved it.

Thanks! It's temporary on Local network in few days I'm planing to locate it in datacenter, so it will not be a problem with a router...
So conclusion:
To start hosting for example few sites, I need:
1) Install Unix/Linux+Plesk
2) In admin panel, add some clients :)
3) In clients DNS Panel make new record that consider with my dns server. So just select primary dns server ns.myserver.com
and ofcourse ns.myserver.com is pointing to my server IP address.
As I'm correct?
Thanks in advance...

And you have *registered* your name server(s) with a domain registrar, right?

nope....I have no idea what is that...
can you explain me please

Ok, lets assume you went to a registrar company (Network Solutions, or GoDaddy, etc) and registered your domain (yourdomain.com). You would then have to login to your registrar account and create/register your name servers. Each registrar has a different prcedure, you'll have to check with them.

You will have to provide a specific WAN IP address for each of your name servers.

Once you have done this, it may take up to 3 days for the (ns1.yourdomain.com) to propagate around the world.

This allows your name servers to 'be known' on the internet.

Then for the domains you will be hosting, whereever that domain is registered, the main DNS pointers for that domain will have to be set to your name servers.

Once this is done, and your Plesk server is setup for their domain and email, etc., then when someone types that domain into their browser, the world's root TLD servers will send lookup requests to your name server for those domains, and their browser will be pointed to the IP address given from your name server.

If this is still too confusing, then please use google to do your homework before jumping in. This topic is not really a Plesk problem.

Thanks! Your explanation is really lamer type ;) exactly what I need :) Now I'm gonna google for that registrar and that's it! :)
Thank you again! Your help was really helpfull for me!
I'm very appreciated for your time that you have wasted on me :)

A little bit of education is never a waste of time. Glad I could be of service to you. I try to keep explanations at a very low level, I deal with too many clients which have less than zero knowledge of things computerized...

Back