• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Going from a temporary plesk.page domain name to the actual domain name

FabLaika

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 12.5
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.58_build1800240123.15 os_Debian 12.0
Hi,

I'm new to Plesk, it looks great but i have a few questions...
We created a website with a temporary domain name *.plesk.page, now that we are ready to move forward and connect it the actual domain name it's not clear what to do.
I don't want to juste rename it like in this example just yet : How to rename a domain in Plesk - Support Cases from Plesk Knowledge Base.
it looks a bit random, also what about the SSL certificate ?
Is there documentation for this or anyone can help ?
Thanks !

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your answer,
Well if i click on Add Domain it asks me to create a new website (blank or import from another server or add a wordpress, etc) but not how to just use the temp website i already have in place with the domain name i have.
I just want to change the DNS from the domain name i need to use, make them point to my server to the temp website i have.
But now nothing in plesk tells it to use this domain.
This is not a usual scenario ? to switch from a temp domain pleskl.page to a real domain name ?
Thanks

I do not understand the question. In your previous post you said that you do not want to rename the domain. Now you say you do not want to create a second domain. I think there is technically, physically no other option due to laws of nature.

Maybe another forum member understands the question better and has a more helpful answer.

There are couple of options. However the most straight forward option is to simply rename the domain as explained in the support article you've linked to. There is really nothing 'random' about renaming a domain.

Another option would to add your 'real' domain as an domain alias to the temporary domain and disable forwarding for the alias. That way your website becomes accessible via the alias too.

Yet another option would be to add your real domain as via the "Add domain" button (as Peter already suggested) and select for the domain to share the webspace with the temporary domain. You could then change the document root of the 'real' domain to match the document root of the temporary domain.

If anything these last two options are more 'random' then the first. But they should work just as well.

Thank you Kaspar !
Ok i'm going to try the first option then, i wasn't sure because when i created the website at first it made all the configuration itself and i was wondering if just changing the domain name wouldn't break this mentioned configuration.
Then once i change the domain name i will need to chnage the SSL certificate i presume, is there a way to create it automatically the same way as the one that was created for the temp plesk.page domain name ?
Thanks

Thank you Kaspar !
Ok i'm going to try the first option then, i wasn't sure because when i created the website at first it made all the configuration itself and i was wondering if just changing the domain name wouldn't break this mentioned configuration.
Renaming the domain can actually break your website. It depends how your website is configured and setup. Sometimes the domain of website is configured in the CMS of the website and might need to be changed in the CMS too. (This is often the case for Wordpress websites, but not always). If you coded your own website things can break too if you have used absolute paths (rather then relatives paths).

Then once i change the domain name i will need to chnage the SSL certificate i presume, is there a way to create it automatically the same way as the one that was created for the temp plesk.page domain name ?
Info on how to re-issue a SSL certificate for a domain can be read here: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...ly-renew-a-Let-s-Encrypt-certificate-in-Plesk

Last edited:
Back