• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Grafana monitoring suddenly broken

• Thread starter Deleted member 209767
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 209767

Server operating system version
AlmaLinux9
Plesk version and microupdate number
last
Yesterday on 6 different servers we started having the same problem. The monitoring tool is broken and the graphs are not displaying.

That was the message yesterday:

1689354309293.png

and today it looks like this:

1689354353562.png

What happened? How do I fix this?

For unknown reasons, Grafana 9 packages were installed from the system repository, but that version is unsupported. You can follow these steps to verify and resolve the issue:

1) Get the output of the
# dnf repolist --enabled -q --setopt='.skip_if_unavailable=1'
command and grep "appstream" in the "repo id{*}" column to get the appstream repository

2) Find the "[<repo id>]" section in the "/etc/yum.repos.d" folder

3) Add/update the "exclude" option like this:
exclude=package1 package2 grafana
(yum.conf(5): config file for yum - Linux man page)

4) Remove current installed grafana package
# yum remove grafana

5) Install a new grafana package
# yum install grafana

6) Remove/update the "exclude" option on extension (the one that was added in step (3)).

If you feel that this is too risky to do by yourself, please open a support ticket with Plesk support so that they can do it for you. To sign-in to support please go to https://support.plesk.com

If you experience login issues, please see this KB article:
https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...rt-plesk-com-and-password-reset-does-not-work

If you bought your license from a reseller, your reseller should provide support for you. If the reseller does not provide support, here is an alternative:
https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12388090147095-How-to-get-support-directly-from-Plesk-

Hi, thanks for the reply

I do the steps in server1, now I get this
"An unexpected error occurred"
Reverted the change
And still having "An unexpected error occurred"

1689357623885.png

The steps provided above are correct, but if there is a problem applying them, it probably cannot be solved by forum advice but needs a check on your server. The forum is not meant for 1:1 ticket-style support with individual analysis on your specific machine. It is here for users to give advice to other users. If you need individual support beyond the general advice, Plesk ticket support is the right choice.

@Peter Debik I have the same problem on AlmaLinux 9.2. The monitoring extension installs 9.0.9-3 from the appstream repo by default and adding the exclude line and downgrading back to grafana to 8.5.24-1 from the plesk-ext-grafana repo still doesn't fix the issue. Grafana 8.5.24 is running however going to the monitoring extension just give you the error "An unexpected error occurred".

Support is just one click away... but also $10 monthly plus taxes if you bought from a reseller. It looks like this forum is just a funnel for paid subscription services.

A built-in feature of Plesk is suddenly broken on 6 different servers, without any change or customization, and we're being told to pay for support to fix the broken Plesk feature. Very disappointing. I bet many more users have the same problem since it suddenly appeared on 6 servers at the same time.

The fact that another user has the same exact problem tells you that it is not an environment-related issue requiring 1:1 support. The steps you just described will produce the same result for others too. Your solution is not working.

Bugs happen, and this is no exception. Grafana is prone to break stuff, as we've seen before. That's not Plesk's fault. But I agree, it shouldn't happen if this were tested more extensively. That being said, Plesk support would like to investigate this issue and, when possible, fix it for you when they can access your server.

Support is free for the first month. It won't cost you anything when you cancel the subscription in time.

We need to look at the individual case on the machine. The workaround has been provided in an internal doc, reference EXTPLESK-4838, if it does not work, it would be great if someone from Plesk support could login to the server where it does not work to check why it does not work. @danami could you open a ticket, please with reference to EXTPLESK-4838? I have already added a comment to our case that the workaround does not work at least for the cases mentioned here, but unless we can check to find out why it doesn't it will be hard to solve.

@Peter I was able to get it working again by removing grafana with `yum remove grafana` and uninstalling the grafana extension then re-installing it (with the exclude line present in the yum config so it pulls down the correct version of grafana). My guess is that installing the extension does a bunch of configuration changes which won't be present if you just re-install it with `yum install grafana`. Better to just remove the new package, add the exclude line, then uninstall everything and re-install it. Then just click on the "use internal monitoring" which will do its work.

It issue here is that a newer version of grafana is in the appstream repo so it's never going to work on AlmaLinux 9.2 unless the installer adds the exclude line to the appstream repo or the extension adds support for the new version.

@Peter I was able to get it working again by removing grafana with `yum remove grafana` and uninstalling the grafana extension then re-installing it...
Thank you so much! I have updated our internal docs accordingly and informed staff in another discussion, too.

Same problem here, cant get grafana to work again on Alma 9.2. Even after removing the grafana 9 package, excluding grafana9 and re-installing grafana8 (from plesk) it does not work. I have tried to remove the monitoring extension, then grafana (or other way around) and then reinstall but whatever i do i cant get it to work.
After installing grafana (8, from plesk) and reinstalling the monitoring extension (via autoinstaller) i do get this error:
The execution of post-install.php has failed with the following message:
[2023-07-20 23:52:10.916] 3232114:64b9ac71dd307 ERR [extension/monitoring] Execution extension has failed with exit code 3, stdout: , stderr: Read timed out after 10 seconds

Any ideas?

Just got it working again. Not sure what helped in detail but i did this:

plesk bin extension -u grafana
yum remove grafana
rm -rf /var/lib/grafana
rm -rf /etc/grafana
plesk bin extension -i grafana
enable plesk monitoring

Just tried to install Grafana on a new AlmaLinux 9.2. It failed due to chkconfig not being able to install.

My solution:
1. Move /etc/init.d to a temporary location (chkconfig will not install, if /etc/init.d is present in the system)
2. dnf install chkconfig
3. Move /etc/init.d back from the temporary solution
4. Install Grafana with success from inside Plesk

Probably a good idea to have a backup of /etc/init.d ready - just in case :)

@Peter99, thank you for posting this.

I recently installed Plesk on Alma 9.2 minimal, including Grafana, and did not see the same. Do you have more details on the start situation from where Grafana was added?

@Peter99, thank you for posting this.

I recently installed Plesk on Alma 9.2 minimal, including Grafana, and did not see the same. Do you have more details on the start situation from where Grafana was added?

We recently ordered a new server from our host, it came installed with Plesk and Alma 9.2.
We then added our first subscription and selected "Monitoring on your own"
As soon as we went into the Monitoring link in the menu, we received a 404 not found page, where grafana should have been displayed.

I then attempted to SSH and do a "service grafana restart" but neither grafana-server or grafana was installed it said.
However Plesk Extensions clearly showed that it was installed.

So i uninstalled the Grafana plesk extension and attempted a "dnf install grafana", who failed due to "chkconfig" not being installed.
I then attempted "dnf install chkconfig" who also failed. Reading from various sites that chkconfig will not install on Alma, if /etc/init.d is present, so i tried moving the folder to another location - voilá, chkconfig would install. Then i tried installing grafana from the Plesk extensions again and it all worked.

I see, thank you for the details. I'd suspect that your hoster installs an incorrectly cloned or pre-installed image. It'll be up to the hoster to correct this, because the same issue does not occur on fresh installs that are done the regular way (installing an OS, then adding Plesk with Plesk installer).

Back