• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Having the same system user for two domains held in different webspaces - how?

Jason Telford

New Pleskian
Hi,

No doubt this is a really easy question to answer but I don't seem able to find a way of doing what I want, so would like to ask if it is possible - and if it is, how do I do it.

My server is running Debian
Plesk version 17.8.11

I would like to add a second domain to my server, using the same IP Address but using its own webspace and I would like the same system as the first domain, to control this second one. The purpose of this is to have a hobby focussed website and a personal website. I have both the domains but don't seem able to add the second domain, unless I create a new system user.

I would like to use the same system user for both domains and have the two domains in different webspace.

How can I do this?

Thanks
jason

This is not possible for security reasons. If Plesk allowed it, users of one subscription would be able to access the content of users of another subscription. You can either use different system users (in different subscriptions) or you can add the domain into the same subscription.

Why do you need the same system user for both subscriptions?

This is not possible for security reasons. If Plesk allowed it, users of one subscription would be able to access the content of users of another subscription. You can either use different system users (in different subscriptions) or you can add the domain into the same subscription.

Why do you need the same system user for both subscriptions?

I don't need the same user, I would like the same user, since both domains will be operated by me and only me. This isn't a case of me sharing space on my server with someone else, this is exclusively MY server and I am the only one who will ever access it. Thus, it doesn't really make sense to have to have multiple users just to set up another subscription.

Since the server is exclusory mine, I should just be able to set up a new subscription with the same system user.

Also, I know I can add this second domain to the original subscription but even though it is just me using the server and operating both domains, I still want to keep them separate. I guess that I am just left with creating a second system user and then giving the original user control of the second users webspace, so that I can access that directory and manipulate the files/subdirectories without needing to su.

Thanks
Jay

I echo Jay's point here since I'm the only user as well to create domains on my server using this PAID subscription of Plesk. There's no reason whatsoever to have to create a new system user for every site/domain created. It is quite annoying and much less flexible than WHM/cPanel. Ignoring this basic fact, Peter, only add insults to injury. In short, I don't have to care about domains as subscriptions when I'm the only subscriber that matters on your system. There's nothing for you/Plesk to criticize here if we choose to use our subscription of Plesk like this. Please give us this option at least in your next release.

Thanks,
James

There's no reason whatsoever to have to create a new system user for every site/domain created.

This is unnecessary. You can also add an unlimited number of domains to the same subscription. A subscription is a way to keep things separate. What you are requesting is that (a) you want to keep things separate in different subscriptions while at the same time (b) you want to NOT to keep things separate as you want to use the same system user for it. It's contradictory.

Also, I know I can add this second domain to the original subscription but even though it is just me using the server and operating both domains, I still want to keep them separate.

Keeping them separate when they have the same system user is a "they are separate" illusion. If two subscriptions had the same system user, they'd no longer be separate. That's the point about subscriptions: They have been invented to keep things truly separate. If you had the same system user for different subscriptions, the effect is the same like having all domains in the same subscription. That is because for example malware from one subscription could then just as easily infect the contents of the other subscription as it can infect the content of the same subscription.

Regarding disk space or number of domains there is no advantage either. As you are saying you are the only user on the system, you can also give yourself unlimited disk space, unlimited domains and unlimited databases in the same subscription. And even regarding maintenance and order there is no difference compared to a situation where you had separate subscriptions that are owned by the same system user, because you can (and should) place each project into a separate document root directory in your subscription to have them visually separated. You can also use the "Domains" menu to visually see separated domains while they are all using the same system user.

Finally, if you believe you still need that feature, please suggest it here:

Back