• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

hda1 full... Because of updater???

V

VerityNS

I'm a complete NOOB at Linux and Plesk! I could really use some advise from people that have been doing this for a while! I've been a MS and IIS guy for a very long time, and I'm going through a real learning curve right now with Linux and Plesk.

Currently I have a Linux Red Hat 9 server with Plesk 7.5.0 Reloaded on it. I've been trying to two days now to update to 7.5.1 and it keeps failing through the updater. I then went to YUM to do the updates and it grabbed some of the updates ( non-Plesk related ) but not all the updates. I get a log every day e-mailed to me the status of my server along with the hard drive use and avialability. This is what my log shows me ( part of the log ):

------------------ Disk Space --------------------

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 510M 507M 0 100% /
/dev/hda5 4.9G 1.1G 3.9G 22% /usr
/dev/hda6 4.9G 632M 4.3G 13% /var
/dev/hda7 100G 534M 100G 1% /home
none 501M 460K 501M 1% /tmp

Previous to me doing my updates through the updater and through YUM, my hda1 drive was at 493 megs used. After the updater and yum, 507megs used.

My theory ( and its very possible that its the worst theory in the world ) is that the updater and YUM is downloading the packages to be installed, installing them, but leaving the orginial update packages on the drive after they have been installed successfully. Thus, possibily, leaving excess files on that partition that are not needed!

Is my theory close? Could this be the reason why I'm not getting all my updates and why they are failing? If so, what can I get rid of without breaking everything?

Like I said, I'm very new to this on the Linux side of things! I'm still trying to understand what exactly a RPM is.. Is it just a zip file with all the packages in it that need to be updated? Can the RPM file be removed after a successful installation? If so, which ones can safely be deleted so I will have more room on hda1?

If there is anyone willing to help me, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Disk Space !

Well I think you have your disk full , not because updater, but because you just have your disk full !

Try installing Plesk on a bigger disk ! 2 GB minimum !

Best regards
Joao Correia

Re: Disk Space !

Originally posted by JoaoCorreia
Well I think you have your disk full , not because updater, but because you just have your disk full !

Try installing Plesk on a bigger disk ! 2 GB minimum !

Best regards
Joao Correia

I appreciate your response! Thank you!

I agree with a bigger partition! In the mean time, is there something I can do until installing Plesk on a bigger parition can take place?

Thanks again! :)

Check /tmp

Check /tmp for big files, erase its contents. Maybe Plesk stored something there.

Try to update by hand downloading to where you have space.

You have space on /home the important place where client www is stored, you have space on
/var where mail is stored.

Check /tmp

Regards
Joao Correia

Re: Check /tmp

Originally posted by JoaoCorreia
Check /tmp for big files, erase its contents. Maybe Plesk stored something there.

Try to update by hand downloading to where you have space.

You have space on /home the important place where client www is stored, you have space on
/var where mail is stored.

Check /tmp

Regards
Joao Correia

It looks like my PSA directory ( which I believe is where Plesk is installed ) is in my /USR directory. So I would imagine that Plesk is installed in a partition that is big enough ( along with having enough free space ).

My server is through 1and1.com. I have seen other posts in these forums from other members that have servers ( probably same as mine ) from 1and1.com. I'm hoping that maybe some of you will be able to weigh in on this and give me some ideas on what might be using up all of my space on HDA1. There images are all the same for all of their root servers.. So I'm having to imagine that others might know what might problem is.

To me, it has to be something with updates. Maybe not Plesk itself, but like I said, after doing a YUM update, thats when I notice my space on HDA1 decreased even more.

I really appreciate the responses so far. Thanks for helping a total noob! :) Further responses are greatly appreciated too! :)

I have also noticed the following folders under my /ROOT directory

/PSA_7.1.5/rpm_RedHat_9/base
/PSA_7.1.5/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/fp
/PSA_7.1.5/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/perl
/PSA_7.1.5/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/vault
/PSA_7.1.5/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/mail
/PSA_7.1.5/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/bu
/PSA_7.1.5/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/sshterm
/PSA_7.1.5/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/migration
/PSA_7.1.5/rpm_RedHat_9/opt
/PSA_7.1.5/rpm_RedHat_9
/PSA_7.1.5
/PSA_7.1.6/rpm_RedHat_9/base
/PSA_7.1.6/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/perl
/PSA_7.1.6/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/vault
/PSA_7.1.6/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/mail
/PSA_7.1.6/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/bu
/PSA_7.1.6/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/sshterm
/PSA_7.1.6/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/migration
/PSA_7.1.6/rpm_RedHat_9/opt
/PSA_7.1.6/rpm_RedHat_9
/PSA_7.1.6
/PSA_7.5.0/RH9_std.updates
/PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9/base
/PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/fp
/PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/perl
/PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/vault
/PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/mail
/PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/bu
/PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/sshterm
/PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/migration
/PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9/opt
/PSA_7.5.0/rpm_RedHat_9
/PSA_7.5.0
/PSA_7.5.1/RH9_std.updates
/PSA_7.5.1/rpm_RedHat_9/base
/PSA_7.5.1/rpm_RedHat_9/opt/bu
/PSA_7.5.1/rpm_RedHat_9/opt
/PSA_7.5.1/rpm_RedHat_9
/PSA_7.5.1

In the /PSA_7.1.5 and /PSA_7.1.6 folders there are alot of RPM's sitting in those directories... Seeings that I'm currently using 7.5.0 right now, can I delete the RPM's in the 7.1.5 and 7.1.6 folders? Can I go into these folders regularly after upgrading to new versions and delete the left over content?

Again, all help is GREATLY appreciated! :)

erityNS you are quite right. I got caught out by this too. After install the installationfiles are left in /psa and can be safely deleted.

Originally posted by Pagemakers
erityNS you are quite right. I got caught out by this too. After install the installationfiles are left in /psa and can be safely deleted.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! :)

After deleting these files, I was able to successfully upgrade my kernel and do a 7.5.1 update! :)

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but i have a similar issue and this is what i found when searching.

The partition that the Plesk update files go to is /dev/ad0s1a 503.97 MB. So even when it is nearly empty, it quickly fills up before it is finished and unable to complete.

My question is... is there any semi-painless way to change the size of /dev/ad0s1a to be a bit bigger without having to repartition in a way that would loose all of the data already there? I have another partition , /dev/ad0s1d 54 117.21 MB that is barely even being used. So i have plenty of space, just in the wrong place.

Or can i simply change it so that the Plesk updates use another bigger partition?

Sorry if this is basic stuff. I have been putting this off for far too long since i am such a novice but i have to get this done already. Thank you for any assistance that anyone can offer!

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. I've now also read a bit about symlinks. Could anyone please help guide me in getting that set up as a solution.

thX again!
-thedevilman

I am embarrassed to say that it was a pretty easy solution. There was a setting that i somehow missed that allowed me to change where the temp auto install files were stored. hehe, my bad.

can you post how you were able to solve your problem, I am having the same issues.

Thanks

From the Admin CP, click on 'Server' from the left, then click on 'updater', click on 'Preferences", change the 'Temporary download directory' to a directory that is on a partition with more room. To look at partition info and 'Hard Disk Usage' to see which directory will work best for you, click on 'Statistics' from the 'Server' area.

Hope that helps.

Back