• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

help!! misleading verbiage

Sorry if i don't make sense, but my understanding of a black list is that it will be treated as a black list, not a block list. a block list "blocks" the domains listed in it (won't let it pass through) while a black list "is a list or register of entities who, for one reason or another, are being denied a particular privilege, service, mobility, access or recognition." (source: wikipedia)

Let me know if I need to explain it further for your understanding... :)

But thanks any way for trying to answer. Also, where it says "Setting Up Server-wide Black and White Lists", why can we only put in domain names and not IP addresses in the black (hole) list?

Blocklist and Blacklist are interchageable in this context, and in the body of the page the word "blocked" does appear. Yes, the page could have to be named "mail_blacklisted_domains" but "mail_blocked_domains" is equally good.

Both the definitions you listed mean the same thing: the entity in your definition for "blacklist" is "domain" and the privilege/service that is being denied is that of sending email to the Plesk server in question.

Domains in the Plesk email Blacklist are blocked from sending email to that Plesk server. The blacklist contains a list of blocked domains. A list of blocked domains is a blacklist.

Incidentally, if you have no domains listed, under Black List it says "No Blocked domains".

This is not confusing and perfectly reasonable. I'm a professional writer. I'm picky about things like this. I get annoyed when people use the wrong words, grammar or spelling in an application costing a significant amount of money (but not in forum posts! I'm as guilty as anyone for sloppy spelling/grammar etc). I can't see any problem here at all.

I therefore suspect I've misunderstood what is annoying you.

But thanks any way for trying to answer. Also, where it says "Setting Up Server-wide Black and White Lists", why can we only put in domain names and not IP addresses in the black (hole) list?

Ah! Right. IP addresses. Well, you can add IPs to the firewall (restrict to post 25 if need be). This is a much more efficient use of resources.

I can totally see why you'd want to add IPs here in the Mail section though.

You have three choices - probably more.

1) Install spamdyke and spamdkye control panel for plesk. With these you can configure IP, rdns, recipient_address and sender_address blacklists/blocklists though the panel.

2) Manually create some spamassassin rules involving the last_external IP.

3) Set up your own DNSBL (like spamhaus/spamcop etc). It is not too difficult. You'll need to install and configure something like rbldnsd on a separate IP (and make sure named doesn't not listen on that IP). You can then add IPs you don't like to that, and set up Plesk to use your DNSBL in the same way as it uses spamcop/spamhaus whatever other DNSBLs you already use.

Back