• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

help with phpbb installation

M

mwangi maina

Hi guys,i have developed a phpbb forum offline using easyphp as my local server an i now need to put it online..how do i install phbbb on plesk 7.5.3 which is my online server technology?

Originally posted by mwangi maina
Hi guys,i have developed a phpbb forum offline using easyphp as my local server an i now need to put it online..how do i install phbbb on plesk 7.5.3 which is my online server technology?
Since you are in the Plesk linux forum, I will answer with that in mind. This is based on no forum mods. If you have any mods installed, you will also need to add them to the new linux install before you update it with your database.

1. Make sure that your local build is using the latest 2.0.18 version of phpBB. If not, then update it.

2. If you are not using the default template, you will want to create two backups of your database, one with the current template and one with the default template. From the admin page, select "backup database" and do a full backup. I normally do not use gzip compress for my forum backups but that is cause I have lots of bandwidth. ;)

Creating the two backups is a "just in case" situation. I am using an outdated template on one of my sites and the updates and a site move all worked with the default template, then after the move I reselected the outdated template and it works fine. Trying to do the updates or move with the outdated template causes lots of problems for me on that site.

3. Do a basic phpBB install into your plesk website. To keep things equal, use the same script path (path where phpBB is located relative to the domain name), database name with the same user and password. You will need to create the database and database user in the plesk control panel for that domain. Then upload the files using ftp.

Section 1 on the above link is the quick info on what you will be doing. Section 3 is a more detailed explaination of the process.

4. If you do have any mods installed on your test site, then also add them to the new linux site.

5. Once the default linux phpBB install is up and running, then login to the admin page of the new forums and select the "restore database".

6. If you had installed any special smiles or avatars, you will also need to upload those to the linux server.

Now check the site out. Check your user login, your forum registration, etc. If something is not working, then you will need to make some changes in the admin configuration page for paths. This is where keeping the same structure from the default domain comes in handy.

If you have any problems with your move, post the info here and I will try to help out.

thanx...it worked

thanx a million bro it worked perfectly....but i found out that if ur backup was in an earlier version it will not work very well, had to first update my local board ,do a backup then post online.

Yeah, forgot to mention that.

Like a lot of software with databases (plesk comes to mind) the backups only work with the same version.

Back