• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved [Hetzner] Plesk-Onyx: Image

omexlu

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

I own a server from "hetzner.de" and they told me that the Debian 8.7 Plesk-Onyx images are not provided from them self but from plesk, that i ask now here.

What it a little bit strange is the partition of the system

Code:
cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md3 : active raid1 sdb4[0] sda4[1]
      1847478720 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
      bitmap: 5/14 pages [20KB], 65536KB chunk

md2 : active raid1 sdb3[0] sda3[1]
      1073610752 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
      bitmap: 1/8 pages [4KB], 65536KB chunk

md1 : active raid1 sdb2[0] sda2[1]
      523712 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sdb1[0] sda1[1]
      8380416 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

lsblk
NAME    MAJ:MIN RM    SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
sda       8:0    0    2.7T  0 disk
├─sda1    8:1    0      8G  0 part
│ └─md0   9:0    0      8G  0 raid1 [SWAP]
├─sda2    8:2    0    512M  0 part
│ └─md1   9:1    0  511.4M  0 raid1 /boot
├─sda3    8:3    0      1T  0 part
│ └─md2   9:2    0 1023.9G  0 raid1 /
├─sda4    8:4    0    1.7T  0 part
│ └─md3   9:3    0    1.7T  0 raid1 /var
└─sda5    8:5    0      1M  0 part
sdb       8:16   0    2.7T  0 disk
├─sdb1    8:17   0      8G  0 part
│ └─md0   9:0    0      8G  0 raid1 [SWAP]
├─sdb2    8:18   0    512M  0 part
│ └─md1   9:1    0  511.4M  0 raid1 /boot
├─sdb3    8:19   0      1T  0 part
│ └─md2   9:2    0 1023.9G  0 raid1 /
├─sdb4    8:20   0    1.7T  0 part
│ └─md3   9:3    0    1.7T  0 raid1 /var
└─sdb5    8:21   0      1M  0 part

show_part.jpg

There are also 2 partition created by default on my system (A + B) on RAID system (i have 2x 3 TB HDDs) but the data will be written on Partition B (/dev/md3), why Plesk take such a setup? now partition A (/dev/md2) with 1 TB are not used? Or for what is this big space there?

Maybe if B is full the it writes to A?

Thanks in advance.

Hi omexlu,

pls. be aware, that your software - raid is used to mirror disk 1 to disk 2, when you use "raid1". Pls. consider to read the Hetzner - documentation at: => https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Softwareraid and pls. consider to ask "Hetzner" itself, if you have any questions, regarding your rented hardware and it's possible usage.

Hi omexlu,

pls. be aware, that your software - raid is used to mirror disk 1 to disk 2, when you use "raid1". Pls. consider to read the Hetzner - documentation at: => https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Softwareraid and pls. consider to ask "Hetzner" itself, if you have any questions, regarding your rented hardware and it's possible usage.

Hi,

There are no problem about the Raid1 that mirror the two discs, but its a littlebit strange the partitions by default. There are so 1 TB not really used by the system. And this debian 8.x plesk image is not created by hetzner but by plesk.

I do not really understand why plesk used so partition because a lot of space is so unused?

You can create symlinks for some sites data from /var/ partition to say /home. This way you will able to use your disk space which is in / partition.

Hi omexlu,

hm... could you explain, what you mean by "not really used" ?

md2 9:2 0 1023.9G 0 raid1 /
=> md2 mounts "/"
... while
─md3 9:3 0 1.7T 0 raid1 /var
=> md3 mounts "/var"

There are just not equally the same amount of data yet on the partitions and "/var" is currently more in use ( in most cases, because the "www" - content is stored at "/var/www" ).
IF you desire another partitioning of your harddisk(s), pls. consider to change that manually and on your very own. The automated partitioning process is not configured to partition your harddisk with a "maximal amount" of the two main partitions "/" and "/var" - it's just setup to partition the "rest" ( after "/boot" and "swap" ) into two pieces, defined with percentages, while only a "minimum" amount would be defined, in order to meet required and essential space amounts on these two partitions.
I hope that helped a bit to understand the automated partitioning process. :)

Hi,

Yes thank you.

As you said the data will written on md3 and md2 where is "/" will not beeing used by Plesk, so the 1 TB disc is losen space :)

Because here nothing is saved by default on md2 :)

├─sdb3 8:19 0 1T 0 part
│ └─md2 9:2 0 1023.9G 0 raid1 /
├─sdb4 8:20 0 1.7T 0 part
│ └─md3 9:3 0 1.7T 0 raid1 /var

I think the space under / is reserved for the system and for the backup tasks. For example /tmp etc.

And the place under /var alone was assigned to the customer data. But the partition i also not well resolved.

I can imagine this is intended. The backup operations require a lot of space, even if you use a ftp memory. If your disk is 70%-90% full, you will get problems during the backup process. After the current configuration is ensured that you have enough space in the tmp and other directories.

I would use the normal Hetzner image, that you can install via the rescue console. There you can also specify the partition: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Installimage

Last edited:
I think the space under / is reserved for the system and for the backup tasks. For example /tmp etc.

And the place under /var alone was assigned to the customer data. But the partition i also not well resolved.

I can imagine this is intended. The backup operations require a lot of space, even if you use a ftp memory. If your disk is 70%-90% full, you will get problems during the backup process. After the current configuration is ensured that you have enough space in the tmp and other directories.

I would use the normal Hetzner image, that you can install via the rescue console. There you can also specify the partition: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Installimage

Thanks but now its to late to reinstall all (don't want to do all again), but if i need to reinstall the server one time i will do it manually.

But with the standart image providen by plesk there a lot of space lost :) For the moment i have enougth with 1,7 TB for /var :)

I think that the space is not missing. If you do not create backups, create a mountpoint. That would be enough.

Thanks but now its to late to reinstall all (don't want to do all again), but if i need to reinstall the server one time i will do it manually.
The more often you do it, the easier it will be for you. You can also save your plesk configuration before. Then you do not have to configure so much. :p

Back