• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Host just website not email for a domain - problem

Phil Wareham

New Pleskian
Hi,

One of my clients wanted me to transfer their website onto our web server but not their email which they want left at their current ISP. I've changed the DNS records via their ISP to point at my server apart from the MX records and A record for 'mail' which I've left untouched.

I've set up web hosting for their domain on my Plesk control panel and the website is working fine. I've not sent any email accounts for their domain up in the control panel obviously.

I have one problem - if I try send outgoing email from my domain (also on this server) via SMTP to their domain it tries to route the email directly through the server and not out to their ISP, I get an error that the mail cannot be sent. All incoming mail is fine and all other outgoing emails are fine too.

How can I sort this out?

Thanks, Phil

I think that the easiest way is that on your server you want to copy all the DNS settings for their domain (name servers, MX, A etc.) so that the MX record is pointing away.

Also, for the domain on your server you may have to turn off mail (even though you have not set up any email addresses).

I think that should work for you. I hope that helps.

Fixed

Thanks coolemail, I did actually sort this myself a few days back by turning off mail for that domain and setting the DNS to the external nameserver (thus ignoring the Plesk DNS record) but I guess your method would yield the same results.
Phil

Back