• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Hostname changes every night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wikibear

Regular Pleskian
I have changed my hostname via plesk webinterface. This works for weeks. After last update last week, plesk change my hostname automatically every night. I get blacklisted on some mail provider and this is very boring. All other settings are fine. Hosts, Network or main.cf of postfix. But the hostname was changed to my first domain. S48575738 eg...

In use is Suse 12.3.

Us your server a Virtuozzo VPS? If so, the hostname is set by the service provider, and will revert to that setting every time the server reboots.

So you change the hostname in Plesk and basically it doesn't "take" or rather it resets itself? Wow!

I don't know what to suggest. Could it be something unusual or specific to Suse?

I go in Plesk web interface and setup the hostname there. If i check this, after the change all is fine. One day later all is set well, but the hostname is wrong... I get something like s17060469... I must set the hostname by my self new and next day... tataa s17060469... It's interesting that anywhere is this old hostname saved and will be inserted in hostname automatically...

Its a Plesk 'feature'.
Basically some updates will run /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk automatically, and that resets a couple postfix configuration options to something they think is correct.
Such option are 'net_protocols, smtpd_milters, non_smtpd_milters and probably a couple others.
I didn't find a good solution to prevent that. I tried making main.cf immutable (chattr +i), but then mchk will hang ! and so the ongoing update (at least when last time i tried, with some 10.x version ).

Although your problem could be unrelated to above, since i changed myhostname in main.cf, and never was overwritten.

Try update server hostname with following CLI command:

# /usr/local/psa/bin/server_pref --update -hostname host.example.com

OK, or not... Hostname changed again to s57273749 . On both systems.

Where is the old hostname saved that plesk know it and change it everytime...?

Something will happen to FTP Server settings, too. I can't connect to the ftp server.

After /usr/local/psa/bin/server_pref --update -hostname host.example.com its all fine but next day it was wrong again...

Last edited:
I edit the 50dialy file and put the hostname changing perl exec in it as a workaround... No luck. Looks like the hostename change after the Backup is ready...

This is absolutely not typical behavior for Plesk. I assume that there is some misconfiguration. Therefore I suggest you contact Support Team for checking your server.

Found Solution. Via YAST Network devices Settings Hostname/DNS there is an option changing hostname via DHCP. This must be unchecked.

Thanks for your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back