• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How can an e-mail user change its own password?

Antonio CarlosR

New Pleskian
I think (and I need) that all users should have the ability to change their own passwords and no one (not even a site owner) should have access to others passwords.

That being said, is there a Plesk function that provides that?

A Parallels Panel Technical representative named Rohit R is trying to force me to use Horde to do that, but my users are currently using Atmail, they don't like Horde.

How you guys do that?

I'm also pasting the chat I had with him, because he/she had trouble to understand me and asked me for my server password (at least the form asked for it), to understand and maybe fix this "issue", but there is no issue, and, frankly, the representative did not understod a single word of what I've said...

-----------------------------------

Welcome to chat.parallels.com, Rohit R will be right with you.

Rohit R:
Hello

Antonio Carlos Ribeiro Faria:
We have just created trouble ticket for you. Ticket number: #1499304.

Rohit R:
How may I assist you?

One simple information I can't find: in Plesk Panel 11 how can a mail user change its own password?

Rohit R:
Domain control panel > Mail >Click on mail address

Rohit R:
There you will get option to change password

Its not an user, just a e-mail account, I cant login with it, can I?

Rohit R:
If you want to change the mail account password from the Plesk panel. Please go to Home> Domains > Domain name > Mail > click on mail account > password

Rohit R:
Please update the details if I am in wrong direction

And so i tell the person to give me its password? So it's not a safe password anymore because we both know it, right? What anyone need is a way to change its own password. I know that as an admin I can change anybody's password, but how can a user itself change its password?

Rohit R:
you can cage this using webmail

ATmail has no link for a change password form

Rohit R:
Let me check

Rohit R:
This option is available as plug in. Please refer the following forums.

Rohit R:
forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=261899

Rohit R:
But the default one which comes with PLesk does not support those plug ins.

Rohit R:
But this is available in Horde . You can try to switch the webmail component

Rohit R:
Are you there ?

back

sorry, got a problem here

Rohit R:
This option is available as plug in. Please refer the following forum. forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=261899 But the default one which comes with PLesk does not support those plugins. But this is available in Horde . You can try to switch the webmail component.

I'll have to buy atmail or use horde?

Rohit R:
Use horde.

Rohit R:
because this option is available in horde

yeah, but horde is ugly, very ugly, users didn't like it

and asked me to move to another one

I read a lot the forums before coming here

There is or was a Creation Utilities thing for previous versions that had an .html to users change their password.

Is this discontinuedt too?

It's a so basic function and a huge security breach let admins know the passwords of other people, Plesk need to provide a way around webmail, those webmails are not plesk solutions...

Rohit R:
I am sorry to inform you that at present the only workaround is Horde.. This is not a plesk issue.

A user change its own password is not a plesk issue? You're trying to provide a basic function like a person change its own password and you tell me its not for Plesk, the same Plesk I used to create all mail addresses? I can't disagree more. Think about you giving your password to a colleague by phone so it changes it for you. Horde will not work for me, I cant change to Horde so people change their password and get back to Atmail so they use a better webmail...

Rohit R:
We will check the possibilities and will update you the details in the ticket. Could you please update the login credentials in the ticket

Rohit R:
You can update the details using the following link..

I was about asking you for a link.

Rohit R:
https://www.parallels.com/support/spf/?id=????

Rohit R:
Shall I end this chat?

Server Permission Agreement?

Rohit R:
yes

Are you about to enter my server and change things?

Rohit R:
No. I will not make any changes. I want to investigate in your environment.

Investigate? It couldnt be simple, its a Plesk 11 like any other

The only difference, maybe is that I bought also a Spam extension, but I bought the license at the Parallels site.

Rohit R:
I need to check in your server directly to find the root cause of the issue. I will check that and update you the details through ticket.

Rohit R:
Hope Spam extension license will not be causing any issues but need an direct investigation on your server to provide you with the details.

I think we are not in the same page.

There is no issue. It's straight and simple question: how can domain user change its own password if he/she only have an e-mail account.

You said there is no way, use Horde. I said I can't use Horde and I think that Plesk should provide an interface for that. But there is no server issue.

Rohit R:
I am not clear about your previous update <" how can domain user change its own password if he/she only have an e-mail account. ">. From the chat session I could understand that an email account holder should be able to cage the password using atmail .. Am i right?

Not Atmail. Atmail is not a Plesk Product, its a third party product. How can a e-mail user change its own password using Plesk?

Rohit R:
+

Rohit R:
Sorry, You can change the email user password by navigating to the location

Are we getting back to that?

Rohit R:
"Login to Plesk >> Click on Domains >> Click on Control Panel of that domain >> Click on Users Tab >> Click on that particular User and change Password"

Rohit R:
Or you can click on Mail Tab and click on the user associated with that mail account and change password

As an administrator, as root, I know that I can change anybody password. But you must understand that this is a security risk, I don't want to know the password of nobody and nobody will ever have my passwords, ok?

Are you the same person that started talking to me?

----> Rohit R If you want to change the mail account password from the Plesk panel. Please go to Home> Domains > Domain name > Mail > click on mail account > password

you said that before

Rohit R:
Yep, I am the same person.

So you understood nothing of what we are talking here...?

We are loosing time here. Thank you very much for your assistence.

I will close this chat now.

Rohit R:
Could you please update your contact details.

No I can't, because I don't see any reason for that.

There is no issue.

Rohit R:
Please hold on.

And you won't find an issue in my server. It is functioning perfectly well.

And you won't find an issue in my server. It is functioning perfectly well.

What I need is a feature that looks like Plesk doesn't have.

Rohit R:
I will help you for your query. I donot need your server details.

As you can't understand what I'm saying, I realy afraid of you making any wrong changes in my server.

But you can forget about that, I will ask for help in the forums. Thanks a lot.

Rohit R:
Sorry Antonio

Closing the chat window now. Thanks.

Antonio Carlos Ribeiro Faria has ended the chat.

Antonio, from within plesk -> subcription -> users -> you can create a user whom you give permissions only to change there own settings ..

With that done, that user can login to plesk with there email address and password and then be able to change there passwords anytime.

Antonio, from within plesk -> subcription -> users -> you can create a user whom you give permissions only to change there own settings ..

With that done, that user can login to plesk with there email address and password and then be able to change there passwords anytime.

Let's suppose I have an e-mail on a Plesk Panel hosted domain, I don't have an user, just a mailbox, how can I change my own password? Do I have to give it to an administrator for him to change it? What about my privacy and security?

Thanks, abdi.

You can't without a user. Last option would be to use Horde.

I've got to the same conclusion but I can't believe that and I can't use Horde, my clients won't like it at all. And if I get a customer that says: "no user of mine will have access to a webmail!". What do I do?

So I'll have to develop an interface to do it myself (?).

Change password is such a basic function that's it's very strange that Plesk doesn't provide it...

Change password is such a basic function that's it's very strange that Plesk doesn't provide it...

Plesk already provides that feature and indeed you can create a user that can login to there control panel and manage it just as it were before in the earlier versions of plesk.

For you to do it through webmail, is NOT plesk's problem or responsibilty since they too don't own horde or atmail, these are ALL third party applications.

I honestly see no way plesk has failed in that ...far as am concerned plesk has already done it all ...and I don't think they be blamed in anyway ..

Plesk already provides that feature and indeed you can create a user that can login to there control panel and manage it just as it were before in the earlier versions of plesk.

For you to do it through webmail, is NOT plesk's problem or responsibilty since they too don't own horde or atmail, these are ALL third party applications.

I honestly see no way plesk has failed in that ...far as am concerned plesk has already done it all ...and I don't think they be blamed in anyway ..

I would agree with you if mailboxes were also created in Horde or any other webmail, but you need to access Plesk Panel to create them, afaik, there is no other way of doing this besides, of course, command line plesk utilities, so why not provide also a form so I can change my own mailbox password? Why give this responsibilty to a third party application they do not own?

So, which permissions do I grant when creating a user?

When I create a user and attach it to a mailbox and grant the "Create and manage mail accounts", the user has the ability to edit all the domains mailboxes. There isn't a permission setting for edit only their own mailbox settings!...

Last edited:
When I create a user and attach it to a mailbox and grant the "Create and manage mail accounts", the user has the ability to edit all the domains mailboxes. There isn't a permission setting for edit only their own mailbox settings!...

Yes, I meet same problem. I want to create a user role which only give them permission to manage their own mail accounts, but failed. Only one option related to mailbox, that is "Create and manage mail accounts". If I selected one, then this user role could manage everyone's mail accounts. There should be an another option to only manage own mail account, but Plesk Panel doesn't provide this feature.

Not like cPanel, cPanel provide an interface allow user to change their own password and then user can choose third party webmail application even some webmail applications do not have feature to change password. But at least, user have one way to change their own password.

----------

The reason why I cannot use horde to allow user change password, because it doesn't display well currently, cannot load css and image, I know their developers are working on it now.

Last edited:
Yes, I meet same problem. I want to create a user role which only give them permission to manage their own mail accounts, but failed. Only one option related to mailbox, that is "Create and manage mail accounts". If I selected one, then this user role could manage everyone's mail accounts. There should be an another option to only manage own mail account, but Plesk Panel doesn't provide this feature.

Finally I find an alternative solution. Create a new user role and do not grant any permission. After user login Plesk panel, user can change their own password by click profile tab and change the password. I tried and it works.

Finally I find an alternative solution. Create a new user role and do not grant any permission. After user login Plesk panel, user can change their own password by click profile tab and change the password. I tried and it works.

Amazingly cool, man. I think not even the highest level of Parallels support staff knows about it. I hope it's not a bug to be removed.

I can't thank you enough for that.

Tested it here too and works like a charm, users are even able to edit their forwarding rules and set their own auto-relpy messages.

As I'm migrating from another structure, now I need to know how to create a user+mailbox using one the available command lines, /usr/local/psa/bin/user and /usr/local/psa/bin/mail doesnt seem to provide an option to create both as we can do in the panel. But this might be a subject for another thread.

Thanks again.

Yes, but this also displays a "Mail" tab with a link to follow to change the password. This link displays a "permission denied" error! My customers, being fairly sensible, would go to the Mail tab to change a mailbox password.

A confusing work-around, but a work-around none the less!

Igor, is this a bug report for the Mail tab displaying when no access is granted to an email user? Or for a lack of ability for an email user to change only their personal settings?

Dave

Back