• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue How can I activate Brotli or update Apache 2.4.6 for easy activation?

jose

New Pleskian
I think it's a bad joke, for all the people who spend thousands of euros on licenses so that the newest things don't come.

I don't even see a manual to activate Brotli in Apache or Nginx and not be able to update Apache to 2.4.6 which already comes by default.

Can anyone help me?

Hello!

1 - You send me to an article from a year ago where it says that it has not been implemented.
2- You send me to an article for a payment repository that is for nginx not Apache.

As I say a bad joke. Because with Apache 2.4.6 it comes by default. The money of the licenses you invest it in, in nothing?

I see that it is the second most voted request add BROTLI support to nginx and apache, the votes are worth something or just to waste the time of users?

I think this is the time I have been most indignant about a paid service. the request is from 2017, Plesk laughs at the customers.

It seems that currently there are 15 major user voice requests that have more votes, so Plesk will probably do these first. I think as capacity of the developer team is probably limited, they might choose the things first that got the most votes.

Are you aware that the advantage of Brotli over Gzip in the real world calculates to maybe a fraction of a millisecond per request, and it only applies to data that is not already compressed, e.g. .html, .txt, .js and similar? Plus it does not work with old browsers. The number of websites this can have some impact on is extremely small. "20 %" sounds like a lot, but in reality, this only affects a fraction of a page's resources, does not cover all browsers and does not actually yield a performance advantage. When delivering a typical compressed .html structure of 2 K compared to one that has 1.6 K the speed difference is neglectible compared to overall page sizes that are typically anywhere between 200 K and 1 MB. You'll save one millisecond or less on average line speeds.

I'm sure that Plesk takes user requests seriously. However, it seems that there are simply other topics that need to be handled first, because they have more votes or a stronger impact.

20% is a lot when it is a heavy page.

If I see that in 3 years you haven't been interested in updating and also in updating apache to 2.4.6 that already has it by default.

About it not working in old browsers I don't care since we are entering 2021 and Microsoft already bets on Edge where it is supported.

20% is a lot when it is a heavy page.
I can only encourage you to look at the real numbers. It's an eye opener and might bring you some relieve in terms of the feeling of urgency/priority.

I'm not from Plesk, I don't want to talk you into anything. Just pointing out that a more detailed view at what this algorithm would actually mean to your website might make your drive less urgent.

For example let us look at a really "heavy" page like ABC News . It's full of content. You can test this yourself and follow the math:

The source code of abcnews.go.com currently has a size of 210 KB uncompressed.
The same source code compressed by Gzip has 50 KB.
Under ideal laboratory conditions, the same source code compressed with Brotli has approx. 40 KB.
So what are we saving? We are saving 10 KB on a huge page.

Now let's do the math what Brotli is actually saving you in download time:

Assume we are on an extremely slow DSL line with only 768 KBit/s downstream. Say we can only utilize 512 KBit/s for data. This equals approximately 64 KByte/s. We know that most people are on much faster downstreams, but just for this example, assume we are on such an extremely slow connection, so that 10 KB should make a difference. I mean, even on cell phones you'll get a much higher speed, but just for the sake of trying to argue pro-Brotli, let's assume you desperately need to save these 10 KB. These 10 KB that are saved with Brotli compared to Gzip will save you 10KB/64KB/s = 0.15 s real loading time. zero point one-five seconds.

In the real world where people are usually at least getting 2 MBit/s downstream, this will be around only 0.04 s download time saved. So even if you had ten of such files, you'd still be looking at only less than half a second saved download time. But most websites don't have ten such files. Plus the browser has cached typical files like commonly used JQuery files.

In office environments with 16 MBit/s or higher, you'll save approx. a few milliseconds only. And remember, this only applies to very long source code pages. It's not even the average usage situation where people download a mix of images, source code, maybe other file types. Remember, we have looked at a really huge page with a long source code for this example. A normal web page is much smaller.

Does Brotli give you an advantage? Yes.
Does that advantage have any real world impact? No.
It's something for engineers and very, very high visitor volume sites. But it is way less than anything that users will ever notice. It is absolutely marginal, minimal. For most people this does not have any impact at all, and probably that is one of the reason why people have not been casting their vote for it on the uservoice page.

Yes, the costs are minimal, but if I thought that way, then why am I going to resize images if I'm only going to save 20kb, why am I going to remove JQuery if I'm only going to save 50kb, all that counts, because I'm going to add Brotli, if I'm only going to save 10kb according to your theory, so thousands of things.

We are only asking for one thing that comes by default in Apache 2.4.6 (it's nothing so complex), all this makes an addition to the different strategies that make our page faster.

Personally I absolutely understand your point. I am a big fan of micro optimizations, too. From code compression to single PHP functions - adding it all up one can save a lot of loading time and cpu time.

With the default, well, yes, maybe, I think that the problem is that Plesk is installed on millions of systems. So before a new version of any server product is rolled out, it needs to be tested with all kinds of operating systems and in all kinds of set-ups. Do we know that a different compression in the web server might not break some awkward application that thousands of users have installed that requires gzip instead of Brotli? For that reason it may take a long while until Plesk upgrades components. They'll do it, some time in the future, along with other bug fixes and upgrades.

Hi, I like to join this discussion.

Basically Brotil is the newer and better compression.

Apache + nginx support this, only PLESK is not yet interested to implement it since it came out, which I believe was around 5 years ago.

If we ask support, they tell us to reach out to this forum, as its currently unsupported.

So my question, is there any ways to get it installed unofficially, even when the noticeable change might be minimal only?

Thanks, I used a different guide, so some domains get brotli others don't if u curl them.
Note that you need to specify the Brotli config first, or Apache will use gzip in preference to Brotli.
How to make sure the order is right?

Back