• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How come plesk is caching so much ram on my server? Is this normal?

ryzen579

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Rocky 8
Plesk version and microupdate number
Firstly I will say I am enjoying Plesk on my home server I just built brand new. I am using Rocky 8.8 Linux and Plesk on a dedicated server.
I have noticed ram on the 360 monitoring seems usage is rather high considering I have 32 GB ddr4 3600Mhz. Is this normal? Or how can I reduce ram usage? Because I am only hosting 4 sites and I do not have any cache plugins enabled. Also, on another topic I have a 2TB NVME for Plesk installation and I can see that on my dashboard how much space is allocated. Is it normal for the root directory to be partitioned to 70GB and around 30GB is used? Also how come I cannot see my 4TB Iron wolf Pro HDD on Plesk. I have successfully installed OwnCloud to the HDD but I cannot tell remaining space.

Attachments

• Ram caching.png
    Ram caching.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 19
  • servers.png
    servers.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Regarding the RAM usage: That is typical to Linux. Please see Help! Linux ate my RAM! for details.

The partitions on your disk are set by yourself when you set-up your server. There is no "normal", maybe just some best practices, e.g. to have a separate small /boot partition, a /tmp partition etc., but the rest of the layout is up to you. As Plesk installs to /, I recommend having a lot of space in there.

You don't see hard disks, you see partitions in the Plesk display, because Plesk queries the operating system, not the disk itself. So if you do not see your hard disk, maybe it is not ready for use in your Linux?

Ok I read about the ram, I might order 64 GB and send the 32GB back just because I don't like looking at it lol, I want to see lots of resources available.
how can I increase where plesk is installed to. rl-root? Then there is rl-home which is 1.8 TB free and sda2 which has 4 TB, rather 3.7TB. How much should I increase it to? Docker applications I am installing their configs to rl-home how big can plesk get, it only has 35 GB left in rl-root.
The HDD 4TB is formatted in exfat and i installed exfat on rocky 8 I didnt know how else to format it I could have used NTFS as well but I did Exfat for no particular reason except that both linux and windows can read it. I think its ready for use in linux but I am not sure what you mean by that when I installed OwnCloud I mapped /data to /sda2/owncloud/data and it worked. I checked with filezilla to confirm that it did in fact create folders there.

Back