1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

how do I create admin user in wheel group?

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by ThankYouAndMe, Apr 13, 2005.

1. ThankYouAndMe

ThankYouAndMe Guest

Using Putty to SSH to server, for security reasons, I want to disable 'root login' and then create a user in wheel group so that this user would first SSH to server and then su to root.

My Question:
    What are the step-by-step procedures in creating a user in wheel group?

2. ThankYouAndMe

ThankYouAndMe Guest

Bump!

Pls. Anyone?!

3. gihrig

gihrig Guest

4. bartje3

bartje3 Guest

Hi,

Create an ftp login for a domain, this could also be on a fictive domainname, and give this user /bin/sh rights.

SSH-Login to server with this ftp username and passwd and su to root. Dont forget to disable root login in sshd_conf !

Better solution:

- create a rsa key and install on server (manual: search for openssh with google)
    - change two lines in /etc/ssh/sshd_conf:
    PermitRootLogin without-password
    PasswordAuthentication no

now only users with installed rsa key can login and you don't have to su to root. Also root privilege sftp is possible with rsa key.

:)

Regards,
    Bart